Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Millenium BXT?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DrBadTouch, Dec 3, 2004.

1. DrBadTouch

DrBadTouch

Nov 19, 2004
    Illinois
    I'm switching to bass and I'm looking for a first bass that is not a "beginner" instrument. I stumbled into THE ONLY local music store and checked out the Peavey Millennium BXT basses. I wasn't expecting much, but I was pretty much blown away. First of all (and least important,) after examining the top at different angles for about five minutes I had to accept that it was not a "foto" flame. Probably what impressed me most, though, was that on the 5-string specimens, the low B sounded really loud and clear acoustically. Overall they seem like super basses for the price. I was just wondering what experience any of you have had with these: any quality/durability issues, fatal design flaws? I may just be xenophobic, but the "Made in Indonesia" sticker makes me very wary.
    I was also wondering if it would be worth it to hold out the extra >$80> for the active model with the VFL p/u's or if the stock electronics on the passive model are good enough for starters and just upgrade later if need be. I apologize for the wordiness, and thank you for any input.

HAIL SAGAN!

2. i work for peavey, so take this however you're comfortable...

if it makes you feel any safer, fender squier instruments are (or at least my wife's squier P was) made in indonesia.

the millenium AC (active) is a totally different animal, so if you want an active instrument, hold out for that one -- adding a preamp to a standard millenium BXP would yield quite different results.

robb.

3. I plugged in a used Millenium at my local store just for kicks, not really expecting much. I was totally blown away by both the sound and features -- hum cancelling pups and through body bridge. It had a very thin neck, something like a Geddy Lee Jazz. Asking price was just $150. For that money, I should have pulled the trigger.

What kept me from it was uncertainty about the neck and its ability to hold a setup and resist twisting and warping. My personal hang up about basses from Asia is the quality of the wood used, and whether or not it is given time to dry properly. RCZ -- can you provide any input on this?

Still wish I would have bought it for a cheap, fun backup. My wife and I probably piss away more money than that on Starbucks over the course of a year. And for that matter, there's a lot of higher priced basses that have neck problems!

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to agree about the Millenniums. They are some great sounding J-basses at a very low price. I hadn't thought of it, but the comparison to the Geddy Lee Jazz is apt since both have very thin necks. Still the overall build quality on the Geddy is noticeably nicer.

5. DrBadTouch

DrBadTouch

Nov 19, 2004
    Illinois
    Dr. Cheese, that doesn't really make me feel any safer because Squire has been pretty much out of the question since I started looking, but thanks a lot for the input. I think I will get the active version (they didn't have it in the store, that's why I had to ask.)

Since you work for Peavey, maybe you can answer me this: I checked out one of the neck-through Grind basses the other day and there was this weird fuzz coming off of the fretboard where the neck connects to the body. I thought it was just dust, but when I tried to wipe it off it stuck like crazy and pulled into tough little strands. Is that some kind of adhesive?

Thanks again guys, this forum is great.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think you have it mixed up. I don't work for Peavey. I just own a Peavey.

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    RCZ, if you work for Peavey, what's up with the supposed return of the USA Millennium? Peavey bass forum moderator A.J. Johns wrote 8/2/04 that it was coming back into production and would be in the new catalog. Is this true? I have not seen it on the website. Inquiring minds want to know... :eyebrow:

8. DrBadTouch

DrBadTouch

Nov 19, 2004
    Illinois
    Sorry, I had the wrong guy, it was rcz who works for Peavey. My apologies.