Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Millennia Media HV-3B pre-amp, epifani 310 - but what power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sixontimber, Oct 17, 2003.

1. sixontimber

sixontimber

Aug 2, 2003
    scotland
    Hello,

I'm soon to be picking up my Overwater VI (can't wait!) but now I need a better rig to make the most of all that tone. So, I have a few questions for all you knowledgeable guys...

I have pretty much decided on getting a Millennia Media HV-3B pre-amp. While it might be slight overkill for a bass pre, I'll be able to use it for loads of other purposes, making it an all round good deal.

Speaker-wise, the Epifani 310 is at the top of my list. I've looked at the Acme Low B but the efficiency thing is a pain, as is the fact that I'm in the UK. I've also looked at EA stuff, but I'm not sure. Any other suggestions here?

What I really need advice on, though, is power-amps. I really need an amp that isn't going to let down the quality of the other components. What is there in the way of hi-end power-amps (without it all going Krell, FM etc)? Bear in mind that I'm in the UK and, while I don't mind importing stuff, power issues can be a pain.

Hope someone can help!

Cheers,

Douglas.

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Wow, your doing the very high end. Check out Spectron Musician II, it's a hi-fi amp and a little heavy but hey. Another digital switcher, for much less money and weight would be the Carver-Pro ZR1600 which puts out great tone but there is currently a specification of power output question that's up in the air. Rated at 350 watts, someone only measured 200. This is newer technology being measured the old way.

Have fun shopping

3. sixontimber

sixontimber

Aug 2, 2003
    scotland
    Thanks for the reply...

man - that spectron looks good. Damn pricey though. I dread to think how much it would cost over here. That's bang on the sort of thing I was thinkg about though. Any alternatives to that? Anyone?

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Aguilar DB728?

i'm all for the Epifani, cause i love 'em to death. but why not the Acme? they're great for bring out the best in all your gear, cause it doesnt overly color them with their own voice. i've got a B-4, and its plenty loud for a rockin funk rock trio, and my densely packed 9 piece trip hop group.

also, have you tried a Phil Jones? heard they're the new shizznit. if you can find 'em used, how's about a Waynes Jones? people say its 75 lbs. of 2x10 super hifi, low B bliss.

5. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    For a shopping alternative try www.audiogon.com. If you check daily you might run across a Spectron or whatever used. Generaly good people to deal with and their real upgrade freaks so there's lots of good stuff for sale.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Crown Macro-Tech are good solid, great sounding amps.

If you gotta have hi-fi and aren't up for Krell check out this bruiser.
    Note: Has 6dB of dynamic headroom.

7. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'm digging my Crown K1 with the Avalon U5, at least until the Millenia TD-1 gets here (with the HV-3B option and Mullard upgrade).

With two Epifani T-112, I've found my Tone...

PM sent to ya.