Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Millennia ST or Avalon VT ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Sep 16, 2005.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    So, which one of these monsters is king? Are they comparable or totally different. Street prices. Good for rock and grind or just pretty and clean. I haven't seen too much an here about the avalon. Eventually, I will have to settle down and get "THE" rig. These are the 2 preamps that I have been researching. I was thinking about getting a pair of Bergantino HT-210s cabs since I am primarily a rock player. (I like midrange and hear that bergs are great for this)

2. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Millennia!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You're right, the Berg HT210s cabs would be perfect for you.

Oh, and I vote Millennia. Both great units but the Millennia just has a specail something that the Avalon doesn't have.

4. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Thanks for the responces guys. Anyone else have any wisdom? I currently use an Aguilar AG500, avatar b210's, ampeg 8x10 and billy sheehan attitude basses. Some other pieces too. I may end up with the millennia yet. I know that I will get some berg cabs.

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I have an insanely insatiable appetite for gear (as most of us on these boards do!) and have gone through every brand of gear you can think of. Since I started using Millennia (STT-1 and TD-1) I don't even think about other amplifiers - and I say that with absolute sincerity. There is absolutely nothing else that will improve on what I've got. It's a weird but great feeling to be satisfied with what you've got.

6. The Millennia gear is an order of magnitude better than anything I have owned, used or tried. Like a few others here, I own both a TD-1 and an STT-1. Since these arrived I am spending a whole lot less time in the amp forums. Now that I can so easily distinguish the different characteristics and uniqueness of each of my instruments I'm spending a lot more time enjoying my basses!

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    As far as I've heard, none of the above does grind...

You might need some other preamp (or effect) to get your grind.

For the price of the STT-1 or VT-737SP, you could probably get a Millennia TD-1 and the 'grind' preamp of your choice.

You actual users want to give some input on that.

8. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I was just going over the users manual for the millennia. I didn't realize that it was 27 lbs on it's own! :(

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Heh... without trying to be overly rude, this thread reminds me of a thread that was like "whats teh bestest bass? I'm loaded"

Now, you play rock. You want a rig that plays rock. You know how that sounds like, right? However, you ask about the most expensive studio microphone preamps, that are clean, clear and can bring out the fine nuances other preamps can't. Also, you are looking at spending thousands on a preamp, yet most of your other gear is in the sub-1000 category.

I think you are better off with a Mesa 400+ or Aguilar DB750 or some other killer tube amp. Those have the grind and nastiness in spades.

10. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    You have a good point. I have however owned much more "high end" gear than this. The current gear that I have listed just plain works day in, day out. Whatever sounds good, is good. It depends on the situation. I can't say that I would like to have some drunk guy at a club spill his drink down the front of my rack with a millennia inside so I might bring out the aguilar for that. I would use the millennia at gigs where the crowd cannot get as close or just at home. Why? Because I can. I am sure that the Bergs are better suited to the sound I am after but, there are no dealers near me. I think the one in Toronto is the closest.(5 hrs. +) I do not know where the nearest Millennia dealer is. Probably NYC. From the clips on basstasters, I can tell that there is a certain depth to the sound of the Millennia that nothing else has. If you are going to be a musician for like, you may as well play through whatever makes you happy. There are guys on here who have spent thousands on gear that they are never satisfied with and should have just got what they wanted to begin with. Myself included. I think the the Millennia goes for $2600? Is that right?

11. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I do ;) - I even know of a place that would rent you one actually... :smug:

You are correct - nothing else does.

I agree and you are correct about the pricing.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have been reading many, many great things about the Millennia gear, but I am interested to hear if anyone has done a head to head with these two units, or if anyone has actually tried the Avalon. Lots of props for the Millennia, but I'm curious to hear from folks who have used the Avalon.

Tom.

13. tombowlus......you are really gonna hate this...I have been using the Avalon 737 for years now on Vocals, Bass, keys, drum machines, cowbells! :cool: :eyebrow: , drums, guitars (one of my all time favorite pres for accoustics!!!!) piano, etc etc etc. I don't think I have ever used it on anything that it did not sound fabulous on!! I have also used it numerous times as the front end of my live bass rig :eek: ....you have to be a bit creative because of the I/O but it is pretty awesome!

A LOT of pro studios (and players) use these as the front end source for their tracks...a GREAT direct to tape solution....one of the most pleasing mic (line) pres and it has one of the most transparent compressors I have ever seen, heard, or used and the EQ is surgically precise but still very sweet...it IS an Avalon you know!! I don't necessarily recommend this for live use (due to the aforementioned I/O issues, only 1 single output!!) The Millennia is definitely better suited for that...

I have used both and would compare them this way...the Millennia has more flexibility as far as I/O and the pres are very close in quality, I prefer the Avalon overall, but would have no problem recommending the Millennia...The Millennia EQ is not as "neutral" as the Avalon but has a bit more character and more "warmth" for better or worse...the Avalon Compressor has NO equal in my opinion as far as transparencey. The Millennia Compressor "sounds " good though. But to me that is the issue, I can hear it and it does impart a "quality" of it's own to the signal path. The Avalon compressor just works without changing the "sound" of the signal AT ALL...

The Bottom line for me is that in most situations if I see these 2 in the same rack in a studio, I usually put the Avalon on the money track....That is in no way meant to diminish the Millennia at all. I prefer the neutrality of the Avalon...it does not really have a lot of color of its own and it allows me to use the color of the signal in its purest form...whether it is a bass track or a delicate female voca, there is just some kind of magic dust in the Avalon stuff (all of it in my opinion) that you don't typically find in other stuff...I lost BOTH of my U5s and my 737 in a fire recently and I will definitely replace all 3!!

As always, these are just my opinions and YMMV!!

Peace,

T

14. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I definitely will not be buying right away. I will probably try out the rental program on the Millennia but not until tax time because I will probably end up buying it of course! I was leaning towards the Avalon before because I have owned a U5 and always said that it would be the holy grail if only it had some sort of eq.( I do not care for the passive tone control at all) Also, I prefer semi-parametric to fully parametric. Hmmm....

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Tommix, I'm with you on Avalon gear. I can't tell you how many bad backline systems I've made "more then passable" with my U5 in front. I would love to see them make a single space dedicated bass pre, again the in/out issues you mentioned.

16. burk48237...I'm with you on that!! I wonder if we all got together and begged......Hmmmmm...

Peace,

T

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks, tommixx! That was just the kind of compare & contrast I was hoping for!

Tom.