Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Miller basses anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jun 27, 2005.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Has anyone played a Miller bass (http://www.millerguitars.com/) before? I'm particularly interested in the all graphite 5 string model. I emailed the builder with some questions, but any comments here regarding sound and feel would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Marshall

2. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Nobody? JMX?

Marshall

3. JohnnyRook

JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005
    Hi!
    I do play a Miller FabFour with the Haeussel PU and the Seymour Duncan electronic.
    For me (in more than 20 years I owned about everything from Status to JayDees to Alembics) it's the perfect instrument.
    The sound is some sort of crossbreed between a Status and a Stingray, by no means graphite-sterile. It has a frightening growl when played fingerstyle and awesome punch when slapped. Once you find out that one of the potis has a push/pull-function for a preset slap sound (took me about two years to discover that :smug: ) it's getting even more dramatic.
    This might sound funny, but this instrument has a feeling as if it was made out of glass. Highly percussive and reacting to the softest touch (makes left-hand slaps a piece of cake) but mercilessly exposing the slightest flaw in your playing. A good right/left hand damping technique is a must, otherwise playing a Miller can be quite frustrating. Which makes it definetly not the ideal bass for a beginner.
    Despite all my exitement about the Millers, there are a few drawbacks: one is the lousy information politics of Charly Mueller. All you get to know is basically that little bit on the homepage. He never mentioned that his instruments don't take the standard double-ball ends so I ended up ordering custom-length strings from Germany (I still don't know wether the US XL-double balls would fit).

I hope this helps
    cheers
    -JR

4. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks! I knew someone on TB must have tried one.

Anybody else?

Marshall

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Graphite is a no-no for me. I just can't stand the tone. I know people try and downplay how much it effects it and how their graphite bass isn't effected, but I've never played a graphite instrument that sounded better than even mid-range wood basses, IMHO.

It works for certain musical styles, I guess, but I can just tell something was being played on a graphite bass, more often than not. I'll stick to wood.

-Eric.

P.S. - That guy should hire a web designer. Make it look more professional and he'll get more business.

6. JohnnyRook

JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005
    Hi Eric!
    I told the guy the same thing about his homepage in my last email and his reaction was quite unfriendly :meh:

I agree with you about the sound of graphite in general. I can tell a Status miles against the wind. No matter who plays it, it always sounds the same...
    But it's very different when it comes to the Miller, trust me. Maybe this is due to the fact that these instruments are complete hollow-body constructions (weights only about 2.3 kg) with a lot of resonance, almost like an accoustic guitar.
    Anyway, try one out should you ever get hold of one, they're quite surprising.

cheers
    -JR

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I haven't played one, but they're supposedly pretty good. They predated Basslab (while SKC Graphite still being the oldest graphite neck maker in Germany), but somehow fell behind in popularity. Heiko is more active and outgoing IME.