1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Milt Hinton / Jo Jones duo

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by damonsmith, Aug 13, 2020.

1. This incredible album needs its own thread. Stunning playing by two masters, completely open and free music:

BobDeRosa, Joshua, Selim and 5 others like this.
  2. Woah! This will be tonights listening.

3. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Wow. It's hard to get to the music through all that ridiculous reverb. Milt sounds like he's trapped at the bottom of a well.

I wonder if the original mono version sounds any better.

Keith Rawlings and Sean Riddle like this.
  4. Listening now. The heavy amount of reverb on Milt Hinton seriously reminds me of Dub. But the music is really wonderful. Like Carl mentioned, I wonder what the mono version sounds like.

5. If you’re using a device, they all have a mono setting. Sometimes it’s a bit buried in the accessibility menus. On iOS it’s Settings>Accessibility>Audio/Visual
    Then there’s a mono switch. It’s invaluable for listening through headphones to jazz records that were recorded on a three-track and released in mono and subsequently remastered in stereo.
    38B25A13-4F39-4CBD-828C-5FB7214A81CD.jpeg

marcox likes this.
  6. LP copies are easy to get, that is how I listen, still sounds weird, but the music is extraordinary.

7. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    Great find! Thanks for the heads up.

damonsmith likes this.
  8. SteSte

SteSte

Mar 28, 2017
    Rome, Italy
    1) Where they recorded this session?
    It seems a natural reverb, and to me it appear like two musicians far from each other. I do not dislike this reverb.
    2) Maybe the bass was amplified?
    It seems the strings are not pulled hard and i hear some click like a near microphone capturing and reverberating on the room.
    3) Gut strings?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  9. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    I missed this thread - great stuff indeed!

10. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    1) I don't know where, except NYC. But the label is Everest Records, which was a classical music label. I've recorded a few times with classical labels (classical artists doing "crossover" recordings) and the procedure is typically the same. They put 2 or 3 mics in a certain spot in the room, and decide the location of the performers to balance the sound. Usually the rooms they choose are *very* reverberant, compared to what jazz players are used to. I checked on Wikipedia, and they say that at that time, Everest used a 3 mic technique. So my guess is that Milt was placed close to the mics, and Papa Jo much further away, and they adjusted their positions until they got a good balance. Probably balancing the bass (including getting the attack you mention) and drums meant they were a bit far apart. This is what it sounds like to me.

2) I don't think so. It's 1960. I think it's just positioning the bass closer to the mic for balance. I once was doing this kind of recording and after the test recording complained the bass was too reverberant, so they removed some panelling near where I was standing to lower the reflections! When there's no close-miking, this is the only thing they can do.

3) Yes, gut for sure.

SteSte likes this.
  11. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    I agree. I thought the speakers in my truck were blown out or something when I played this on my Apple Music. It’s really weird but I can see why people like it.

12. SteSte

SteSte

Mar 28, 2017
    Rome, Italy
    thanks, lot of useful information, thanks a lot for answering with such precision.

Brent Nussey likes this.
  13. Keith Rawlings likes this.
  14. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    I wish this gem with Milt Hinton and other greats would be issued on CD or available for streaming. Original vinyl copies are rare and expensive but it’s so good!

27454D00-9202-4D93-952A-DF2C689703C7.jpeg

damonsmith and SteSte like this.
  15. SteSte

SteSte

Mar 28, 2017
    Rome, Italy

Keith Rawlings likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021