1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Milt Hinton -- Playing the Changes

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Damon Rondeau, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Hey, just got a hold of this new Milt Hinton biography from the library. It was just published earlier this year -- I'm not sure I've seen us note it around here. Anyway, it's a beautiful damn piece of work with all those great photographs and it looks to be a delicious read as well. A companion CD with lots of Milt talking about events in his life and a bunch of his playing, too. Looks first rate.

2. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
  3. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY
    I haven't been able to get my hands on that one but I have the two collections of Hinton's photos that preceeded this one, "Bass Line" and "Over Time".

He has some truely great photos. Bass Line is more like a memoir and he certainly had many stories to tell.

Those older books are long out of print and I was glad to see this new one come out. Milt Hinton's photos really must be seen by anyone marginally interested in either jazz, its history or just in photography.

4. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I've had an hour or so to start into this book and CD and so far I'd have to say it's awesome. Milt's life is like a 20th century time capsule or something...

5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Had the pleasure to meet Milt at a festival and tell him I enjoyed his "Bassline" book. Unfortunately, he had just finished a one-man show and was quite tuckered. A national treasure for us bassists.

Ike