Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Milt Hinton recommendation?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Buddy Lee, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    Okay, folks, what's the definite recording with Milt Hinton playing slap?
    I'd personally prefer earlier stuff...

2. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I don't have a recommendation of his earlier stuff, but he does a nice slap interpretation of 'Three Little Words' on Branford Marsalis' 'Trio Jeepy.'

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    If I were you, I'd hit Amazon, listen to all the Milt Hinton song excerpts I could and choose my favorite one(s).

4. There's a great Hinton feature with lots of slapping on Terry Gibbs/Buddy DeFranco "Kings of Swing".

5. Milt Hinton does a great version of "Sweet Georgia Brown" on "Laughing at Life" (Columbia CK66454). Also check out "How High The Moon", "Indiana" and "Jon John" on that same CD. The CD was produced in 1995, so it's fairly recent.

Milt Hinton was a pretty damned good photographer also (see "Bass Line: The Stories & Photographs of Milt Hinton" (ISBN: 0877226814); also "Overtime: The Jazz Photographs of Milt Hinton" (ISBN: 076490017X)

- Wil

6. Yeah, "The Judge" was one of the GREAT jazz photographers!
    Whenever I find myself slamming Kay basses here on TBDB, I should try to remember that blond Kay he use to use as his "Slapper" and road bass. His other bass was A Matteo Goffriller made sometime in the 16/1700's, so that says alot about that Kay. I had to borrow it for a concert set once when my bass didn't show up in time. The action was so high, it almost killed me. I think Milt was in his 80s and I was in my 50's!

7. So, you don't wanna tell me who you are????

8. basslife

basslife

Mar 23, 2004
    vegas
    I was first too young to know, now I'm too old to remember.

9. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Yes, time passes quickly. How about one of the greatest drummers I ever had the pleasure of playing with, Mr Gaylord Birch? He started out playing with the original Larry Graham and Graham Central Station and before he died of brain cancer, he was proud to have performed with Mr Hinton at the Monterey Jazz Festival. So please someone tell me which way is progressive?