Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Milwaukee gig spam!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by vegaas, Mar 28, 2003.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Hey all, my band Crawlspace plays tonight at a place called Snappers in Richfield. It is on Fon du lac avenue. From Milwaukee take 45 north until 45 and 41 split, stay to the right on 45, take the first offramp and make a right. It will be about a mile down the road.
    The band playing with us is Dirty Sanchez, a very good Rage type of band.
    They go on about 10, we go on about midnite.
    It would be very cool to meet some fellow TB'ers.
    If you make it, come on up and say hi. I am obviously the bass player for Crawlspace.
    BTW, we are changing our name, we wanted to have it changed by this gig, but couldnt agree on anything yet, we have it down to about 5 finalists.

2. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Well, hopefully none of the TBer's made it to the show friday. It was the worst I have ever played!
    It starts off with the a board blowing during the opening bands first song. Long delay while its replaced. This throws the whole evening off by an hour. All bands decide to shorten their sets. Ok, instead of 2 hours, we get an hour and 15. I can deal with that.
    Then our singer decides we should change our opening song. The problem is the song he wants to open with is very groove orientated. I know my band, we need an easy fast song to start, it relaxes the nerves, then we start to feel the groove. Well, I was outvoted.
    We go on, the lights were terrible. Whoever was controlling the lights decides to go from bright lights to total dark and strobing within in 5 seconds of our first note. I couldnt see a thing. Wouldnt be too bad, except the mix on stage sucked. I couldnt hear myself, and we are playing a song that is supposed groove. :rolleyes:
    Needless to say I really sucked on our first song. The rest of set was better, but my confidence was shaken. I kne that there were a couple of people in the audience from some really good bands that I know. I never really got comfortable, and the light and sound were an issue all night, so I still hit some bad notes.
    The only good news was that my friends that were at the show told me that they had no idea that it was bothering me. They said I looked completely comfortable and in my own world on stage.
    Oh well, the next show has to be better.

3. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Gotta love the dark lights. I recently played a club where the lighting guy thought it would be neat to start off with no lights at all an bring them up when the song kicked in. However, our first song was Long Train Runnin' by the Doobie Brothers. Well, I also just bought a new bass that I'm not 100% with yet and the song starts with a quick little bass solo/riff. Well, I had to just guess where the notes were, and I guessed wrong, sounded awful, damn light guy :mad: