Milwaukee gigspam 8/20-22

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richard Lindsey, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm not from Milwaukee, just playing there. A band I used to be in back in the '90s was asked to reunite temporarily to play the Milwaukee Irish Festival this year. We do some trad stuff, but in a non-trad way. As well as a lot of original stuff and a couple odd covers. We've got a prizewinning trad accordionist, a well-known Irish folkie singer-guitarist, a keys player who used to work with Robert Palmer, a drummer who used to play with Billy Idol ("White Wedding"), and yours truly. An odd mix, to be sure.

We never even really thought of this band as an Irish band--more like Celtic Americana. There's some R&B flavor, some rock, a hint of jazz at times, and we play kinda loud. Oh yeah, our sound guy is a bassist, so he makes sure I get heard! And there's even a bass solo or two here and there.

Here's the festival website:

The band's called Kips Bay, and we're playing Friday (5:45), Saturday (10:15), and Sunday (8:15), this coming weekend, August 20-22. Free admission to the festival grounds Friday if you get there between 4 and 5 PM; all other times $12.

Any TalkBassers in the area with nothing better to do, by all means stop by and say hey if you feel like it. Might be fun, and for me personally, it's nice to meet other TalkBass folks.
  2. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    No smoking hot female violinist? What kind of Irish band are you? :eyebrow: :D
    Seriously, what time are your sets? Unfortunately I am out of town on Saturday and Sunday, but I may be able to check you out Friday.
    Milwaukee has all types of ethnic festivals through the summer. They are all held at the Summerfest grounds. It is one of the few cool things we have going for us.
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    All the fiddlers were taken. That's how we ended up with an accordionist!

The sets are at 5:45 on Friday, 10:15 on Saturday, and 8:15 on Sunday, all on the Aer Lingus stage, which is somewhere in the middle of the Summerfest grounds, I think.
  4. i wish i could go...
    i only live 4 hours away!

i'll start hitchhiking now, i'll make it! :D
  5. I just saw that Richard had posted and wanted to drop a line that I was able to catch his band and chat with him on Sunday nite.

It was a real pleasure to meet Richard, and it was great seeing his band. I wasn't too sure of what to expect (after all they have an accordian player! :p ), but I was very pleasantly surprised. It was a great and entertaining set, and again, it was a pleasure catching a beer with you (and seeing loads of hot redhead chicks!) :D
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    An accordian player in Milwaukee? Wow, you never see one of those. :D
    At least one that isn't playing Polka

Just kidding Golden, I'm just being a FIB.
  7. OK, bud! I'm going to have Stosh Putski and the Kenosha Kickers Accordian Orchestra take a little trip to that little south of the border place flatlanders call 'home.' :spit: :D

All right, so I don't know anyone named 'Stosh Putski' but it does sound really Polish. OK, so I stole the Kenosha Kickers name from some John Candy movie. But there is the radio station WTKM "The Polka Place" up by Hartford!
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Kenosha, isn't that a suburb of Chicago? :D

It's all in good fun. I miss living in Chicago (and the cheeseheads to the north). In the name of fun, here's a song you may find funny. At least people in Chicago thought it was back in the 80s. Hey Der Milwaukee Polka
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hey Dave, it was great meeting you too, and I really appreciate your coming out. You know, people say, "Use an accordion, go to jail," but I say, "Don't knock it until you try it"!

About the hot redheads ... sssh, don't let that get around too much, or all the bassists are gonna start wanting to do the Celtic circuit....
  10. Richard,

Your accordian player rocks. Seriously. I hope he's feeling better, I know a few hours on an airplane is no fun on an aching back.

I just got a chance to listen to that. :scowl: :p