MIM 60 Jazz Classic vs. CIJ 62 Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nemo, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Excelite

Mar 18, 2005
    Near DFW, Texas
    Have you played the MIM 60s RI? The neck is wonderful, with that high glossy spray on the back, very fast. Even the rosewood on the fingerboard is different than that of the standard MIM jazz basses, much better IMO. The reverse tuners are very firm, and do not feel cheap at all, although you will have to get used to tuning backwards. The tone is also very nice, with vintage p/u's, and the overall look is gorgeous. I have one in sunburst, although I really wanted the olympic white, on layaway at my GC, and I'm anxious to get it. I haven't played the Japanese '62 RI, but I thought I could shed some light on the MIM at least.
  2. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne

i'd agree that the mim60's has a really nice thin neck.

i have a cij 62 reissue that i am very happy with. the tuners are not the best quality though.

i think you would be happy with both basses and without playing both side by side it would be hard to choose.

this may not be the case but for my 2cents, i believe that the japanese basses might have more consistant qualtity, but i owned a mexican bass that played like a dream so go figure???
  3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Both basses are top built quality, I'd say the exact same.
    One obvious difference is japan tuners are 'normal' forward tuners, and they are the wrong shape for a 60's replica.
    Mexico tuners are the correct 'reverse' tuners, and are also the proper 60's kluson shape.
    I don't own either one, but the MIM bass is the more accurate replica, and would be my choice of the two.
  4. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Thanks for replies. Good points. Unfortunately I can't play either, they are not in shops around. I would have to order online or make a trip to Germany to check it, but for sure they will not carry stock the CIJ.
    So far my slight nod goes to MIM 60.
  5. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I just received a CIJ 62' Fretless Jazz Bass from GuitarJapan.com. Now my Classic 60's jazz is a great bass, but this new one is by far the best built and playing Fender I have ever put my hands on. This bass does have the "reverse" tuners and they are of a much higher quality then the MIM tuners. This bass comes with the pickguard removed (ala Jaco style). I'll do a full review once I get power back, got hit pretty hard by Hurricane Wilma.

BTW, for all those who kept saying you pay steep duty and customs charges when you purchase a bass from Japan.....Well my charges were $0.00
  6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I say go Japan. I can't really say based on these two specific basses, but I like Fender Japan better in general.
  7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    All I can add is that my 60's jazz is by far my favorite bass. It sounds rediculously good for the price.
  8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That is very interesting, because I know a guy that just recieved his regular fretted 62ri from Ishibashi and it has the forward tuners (same tuners found in the Getty Lee '72 Jazz), same as others I've seen in the past.

Maybe only that fretless model comes with reverse tuners, which by the way, I dont know why Japan calls a it's fretless a 62ri. There were no such thing as fretlesses through the 60's. The first fretless J didn't come out until the very tail-end of 1969.
    But no doubt, japan makes a great quality product.
  9. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    In all my years of seeing Japanese Fenders on many different sights, I've always noticed that only the fretless (62RI) models come with the reverse tuners, and the fretted models come with 70's style tuners (the higher end models that is...the low end budget models have something different, more similar to some MIM tuners I've seen). So yes, you are right....only the fretless 62RI's come with reverse tuners. There are some other models (from Fender Japan) that come with reverse tuners, but when it comes to 62RI Jazzes it's only the fretless models that have them it seems.

Another thing to note is that Fender Japan does not use stack knobs. I've heard it's because the VVT control setup is more popular in Japan.
  10. Pan

Pan Lowdown User

Aug 8, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've used Fenders since the early 70's and Mexican were always pretty poor back then. And Japanese were always very good. I always had US basses tho' and after a few years of CBS I found those to be nasty too.
    Recently I tried MIM and USA and CIJ models and found no reason to go past CIJ. The US 62RI's look good but cost 3-4 times the CIJ when buying here in OZ (including shipping).
    My fretted CIJ has USA vintage p/ups and usual tuners and I can't see why I'd look at anything else. However, I bought the fretless CIJ 62 which is pretty much the same except for the tuners (see other posts below) and funnily enough I didnt like it for fretless (stingray would kill it dead).
    My experiences or 10c worth . . . have you checked resale value for your next GAS attack?
  11. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Yeah, those 70's Mexican Fenders were the worst.