1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM 60s Classic Jazz Bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mrbungle, Aug 12, 2007.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Hi,

I just got 60s Classic Jazz Bass from a trade (traded Clover Xpression Classic for the bass + cash). The pickups seem to fine, albeit a bit noisy. Does anyone know what pickups are they, and would upgrading them do any good? The bass is slightly noisy now. Also, should I replace the pots? Has the 60's series better electronics than the MIM Standard stuff?

2. I believe they use the vintage american pickups, and yes they are better than standard MIM jazz. One thing common to all stock jazz basses is that the pickups are only noise canceling when they are at the same volume. If you want to isolate either the neck or bridge pickup you are likely to get some noise.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Thanks for the info! I think I'm not going to swap the pups, I just noticed that the buzz only appears if I plug my amp to a certain outlet, otherwise it's fine. Some kind of grounding problem, maybe.

The bass itself is great. The sound is perfect (better than American Series Jazz, Miller sig, Geddy and Japanese standard I've owned previously). The neck and fretwork is not as good as in my MIA Precision, but I paid much more $$$ for it.

4. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I think the vintage american p-ups sound the best of all the Fender choices.

5. According to Fender site...

"2 Standard Vintage Alnico Magnet Jazz Bass Single Coil Pickups"

6. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I replaced mine with Duncan Antiquity II's. Much better 60's growl!

7. I replaced mine with a set of Lindy Fralin Jazz pups and did a complete shield.