MIM 62 Reissue Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingus, Dec 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hey everybody.

I know, it's been a while since I've posted or even commented, but I thought I'd ask about these two weird things going on.

I've been on the hunt for a 62 Reissue Jazz Bass, and I found this one on Reverb at a great price...

2003 Fender Jazz Bass (1962) Reissue Sunburst | Reverb

I thought all 62 RI's were MIJ, CiJ or MIA. I emailed the seller who insisted it was "a 62 or a 63" and that reissues were made in both standard 3 knob and stacked knob configurations.

Then I found this on Guitar Center's Website
    Fender 1967 Reissue Jazz Bass Mim Electric Bass Guitar

Now, a 67 would be cool (it was the year I was born), but I've never heard of a 67 RI.

Any ideas?

2. Bump. Really? Nothing?

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Unless it's a very specific model (Aerodyne, '74 RI, Boxer, Jazz Bass Special, etc…), most MIJ/CIJ Jazz basses are usually designated as "JB62" models. Also, they usually have an exposed grounding strip and the serial number on the back/base of the neck.

It's possible that the one you first linked is a Mexican-made "Classic '60s Jazz", to use Fender's specific designation. Maybe you can ask the seller for a better picture of the rear-side of the headstock, then run that number by someone at Fender. They might be able to tell you what exact model matches up with the number.

4. That's an odd duck. It looks like someone put a standard Mexican neck on a 62 RI stack knob body. In any event, it's not a 67 reissue. A 67 would have a bound neck with block markers and would be a three knob.

5. thanks both of you! I bought the "67". :) Will be back with a full report!

L

Malak the Mad likes this.
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The one on Reverb is a Classic Series MIM 60's Jazz Bass. There are no holes for the finger rest, or the pickup cover. The question now would be is it the nitro lacquer version, or the poly finish version.

7. IMG_20151221_170639678.jpg IMG_20151221_170719521.jpg IMG_20151221_170746009.jpg
    Well, here she is. Sounds good, except the Bridge pickup is not as loud as the front. Looks like someone put a lot of money into a Mexi-Jazz, but the neck is really nice. She's a keeper for sure...

8. stacker

stacker Inactive

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    My ha'penthworth. Mexi neck aside, I doubt that that's an American '62 RI body. The blue is too light, like Sonic Blue with a grey-ish tinge, whereas the AVRI blue was Lake Placid Blue. The controls seems to be all chromed as opposed to the bottom tone control being black on the AVRI. Another giveaway of any '60s reissues would be the rear pup being visibly proud of the cover and though it looks like that in the shop photo, I can't properly make its placement out in the OP's pix. Check the control cavity and if you see a grounding plate held in place with little triangular tangs and there is no long front pup routing channel, you could have the AVRI body/controls.

All part of the guessing game. It looks a good bass, in any case.

Stingus likes this.
  9. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    The body looks like garden variety MIM of that year(2004)... what was it, agave blue?

Stingus likes this.
  10. Funny...there's one on my local CL that I'm thinking of trading in my '58 replica MIM P for..

11. stacker

stacker Inactive

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    Arrogant Bastard IPA, eh??;)

12. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. this should be an Agave Blue very late '04 or early '05 MIM Standard with new p/g, stack knob controls, tug bar and a set of pup/ash tray covers added... we have no idea what is under the covers, but stock pup for this model would be the 58294/5 set of ceramic magnet pups, easily identified with raised A & D pole pieces (both pups) .. I am 99% certain of this, but just for giggles, pull the covers and pickguard and take a picture ... should be the usual MIM Standard routing and CNC hole ... that way pic would show the pups and bridge as well ...

.. looks very nice, and as long as OP is so happy with it, it really doesn't matter what anyone before has called it ... but just to clarify, there is no such thing as a '67 RI MIM Jazz .. or a '62RI MIM for that matter ... it doesn't surprise me that no one at GC knew that though ...

Great looking color combo's on that body, Stingus, and you are right, that neck profile is one of my fav as well ... same neck as on the early Hwy 1's ... enjoy!! ;)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Stingus likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021