1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM 93-94 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mahumadi, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Mahumadi

Mahumadi Banned

Apr 19, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I am going to see and most likely going to buy a 93-94 Jazz bass. I am fairly new and have never swapped anything out of any bass Ive owned; ive always played with the stock parts. I feel as though I should experiment with different bridges, strings etc.

I prefer the thump of a P-bass, but I think I would like to use a Jazz for more melodic bass lines and slap.

Would anyone have any recommendations for this Jazz as far as things I may want to consider swapping out, for what ever reason? If you could also explain why, that would be awesome because I honestly know nothing about the mechanics of a guitar, haha.

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I'd recommend that you leave it "stock" for a while until you have adequate time to get used to what it sounds and feels like. AFTER you've done that you will have a better idea about what things you want to change, if any.

3. Mahumadi

Mahumadi Banned

Apr 19, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I dont think I would know what to change to make it sound better, having no knowledge of the mechanics. Id hate to spend money on parts, to find out they werent worth it, which is why I come to you for suggestions, if any. Are you saying that these fenders are made well enough to get by without any major changes?

4. I have a 96 MIM Jazz V that's stock and it's perfect for me. Would it be perfect for you - I don't know. +1 to Dark Horse. Play it for awhile as is and if you find something you don't like then question what it takes to make that better. Right now you're talking about modding a bass you don't even have.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The biggest change in tone you can make is with your choice of strings! Beyond that, perhaps a BadAss II bridge.

If you are considering a pickup change, you'll need to be careful. I believe that MIM Jazz Basses of that era have equal length pickups unlike a US Jazz that has a pickups of different lengths. Consequently, you can't just go out and buy a set of J Bass pickups as one will be the wrong size.

Beyond that, I love MIM Fenders!!!

Good luck!!!

6. Mahumadi

Mahumadi Banned

Apr 19, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I bought it and its tone is very nice, I love its tone. It has EMG select pups that im told sound better than the stock ones, which I have as well. A nice buy with HSC for $275

7. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    Aside from your choice of strings, you might want to consider swapping out the pots for a good set of CTS parts, an Orange Drop cap, and a Switchcraft jack. Those stock components on the MIM Fenders seem to be their weak link

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Awesome!!! Congratulations! Now we need to see photos!!!! :D