1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MiM Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThundersBird, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ThundersBird

ThundersBird

Mar 7, 2008
    Hi!
    I'm new at the whole thing with playing bass, i've been playing for a half a year.
    anyway, i've been looking at a MiM bass lately, and i'm considering buying i't, yet i've heard that there can be a loot of problems with these kind of basses.
    the bass is a Fender STD Upgrade J Bass LH Midnight Wine, and it costs about 1.081 dollars.
    so i'm wondering if i should buy the MiM or wait and buy a MiA.
    Maybe someone could help me :D

2. MIM Fenders are just fine. The price, however, is way out of line...at $1,081,it is grossly overpriced. I am assuming US dollars.

3. ThundersBird

ThundersBird

Mar 7, 2008

well i live in Denmark things usually is more expencive over here. i did find this website where it is cheaper, but i don't know if it's reliable?
    http://www.dv247.com/invt/40837/
    Or maybe someone could show me another website, it wouldn't be hard to ship it

4. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
  5. Holland? Get it from the UK! They retail about 300-380 quid here...postage to holland wouldn't be too great.

Ebay is another option.

I'm surprised you can't find them so easily on the continent...

6. bluecoyote

bluecoyote

May 16, 2007
    The made in Mexico basses are just fine for starting out. I would not be scared buying one of them at all. The price seems high since one can buy an American made Standard Precision for that price, but if that is the going price in Europe and you are happy with it, buy it.

I would check out Yamaha basses since they are a lot more competitive and make great basses to start out.

7. lowselfesteem

lowselfesteem

Jun 24, 2007
    michigan
    I love mim's. I think one will do everything you need it to.

8. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    I've been sportin' a MIM Jazz Deluxe for a year now, and although I modded the pants off it? It still was a fine bass to begin with? I would have done the mods I did to a MIA Jazz at any rate. So please don't judge it by that. If you look back at the old Fullerton plant pictures?, were'nt Fenders built by Mexicans back then? I'd have to say that they have a buttload more experience in terms of producing quality Fender products than the MIA plant. YMMV.

9. jholanda

jholanda

Jan 21, 2008
    I have payed 1000 dolars for an used MIM 5-string fender here and it was a bargain ;-)
    Seriously, a new one costs here 1500 here (Brazil). With the difference I can buy new pickups (SCN costs here US$ 300; you cant find nordstrand here), maybe a new bridge and pay the luthier for adjusting it. MUCH cheaper than a MIA fender bass which costs around US$ 3000-4000 ...

10. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    try thomann.de
    they ship to Denmark(well every country almost)...
    they're around 500-550 or something, shipping(well to Holland) is 8 euro or something, no import taxes...
    so it will cut the price in half, and with a 30 day return policy...

great shop!

11. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Check out www.musicstore.com . It´s a very reliable store in Germany and it ships all over Europe.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    In addition to all the good advice you have been getting about where to find a MIM Jazz,
    I might also recommend you consider an MIM "60's classic Jazz." I have one and am very
    happy with it.

It has a very satisfying 1960's vibe, and in fact seems like a much better
    instrument than the "MIA" 1969 bass I had back in the 70's. :D

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Yes, quoting myself...:eyebrow:...'cause here is a photo of my MIM "60's
    Jazz Classic" with two modifications (mods): a BAII bridge and Lindy
    Fralin split-coil pickups.

However, the bass was fine without these changes. I only made them
    due to pressure from a sound engineer who hated single-coil hum,
    and because I was curious about getting a darker and more sustained sound.

I now realize that probably I wanted a P/J, not a Jazz. In any case,
    here is a picture. The bass is "on loan" to one of my students. When I
    hear it played every week, I am always overjoyed by how great it
    sounds.

Really!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

IMG_0049.

14. worker201

worker201

Mar 21, 2008
    Temporarily, TX
    I have a hard time believing that Brasil doesn't have a thriving black market for basses. Actually, you can find just about anything anywhere for any price you are willing to pay - just depends on how loose your ethics are ;)

15. no problems with my mim fretless. the solder joints are a perfect glossy silver almost chrome. the finish is very good and it plays sweet. if your happy with the price dont let the mim scare you.

16. Hi, i too like my MIM Jazz. Mine is a fretless and I did do a few things to improve it. I put on a badass II bridge and I changed out the pickups to DiMarzio Ultra Jazzes. Overall, the finish and quality of the instrument is excellent. No complaints from me, and my other bass is an Alembic.
    Kenny

17. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
    You may also consider MIJ (MADE IN JAPAN). MIM is OK, but the current MIJs are awesome. The QC on my MIJ is far better than on my MIA, no question about it whatsoever. This may not apply to every bass out there, of course.

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I love mine, stock J straight off the rack.