1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD MIM Classic 50's Precision w Maple MIM neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bassman_al, Jul 15, 2014.

1. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    For sale is a new assembly I just completed. It came out great, if I do say so. I thought I wanted to keep her and sell my USA P but I'm now thinking it would be better to keep the USA... So I'm posting this thread.

I wanted to build a bass that replicated the "50's Classic" P-bass that Fender sells. But I'm not a fan of the wider neck on those models. So...

The body is a Standard MIM black body. It was sold to me as "minimal wear/normal wear and tear." Upon inspection I found that the control cavity was in bad shape. I had to reconstruct the cavity by the lower screw hole, close to the jack. I also had to reconstruct the area by the jack. I'll never understand how this kind of damage happens to begin with...

There was also some damage to the finish around that same lower body area. I tried to get close up pics to show these areas. I did a pretty good job fixing her up. Detectable close up, but not from 2 feet out. I used Testors glossy black modeling paint and CA glue for the repairs. The finish is now smooth and shiny. Not completely smooth to the touch but very close. There were 3 other smaller drop fills I did. 2 on the front, one on the back. Also on the back there was a lot of buckle rash. I got a lot of the scratches out w/ micro sanding and hand buffing w/ scratch remover. There are definitely still scratches to the finish on the back and on the front and they are visible up close. The pics tell the level of visibility.

I'm not sure what year the body is. I'm guessing 5 years or less but neck pocket date was not legible. When I shield the body I'll snap a photo.

The neck is a 2011 and is in super shape. Plays and feels great. Level frets with very little wear. Truss rod is smooth. Sets up beautifully. I did a complete fret dress and polish when I got the neck this spring. It is super clean and feels great. I've gigged this bass and it is a joy to play at 8.8 lbs.

Here is a listing of the bass features:

-Gold anodized pick guard. I'll swap it out if you prefer a different style. I will order it for you and install as well, as part of the sale.

-50's Classic pickups and electronics. Sound great! Very solid sound, and they are well grounded so minimal buzzing and humming.

-Brand new 50's bridge, also featured on the US AV line. I can swap out a standard MIM bridge instead, if you want to save a few dollars.

-Brand new set of GHS Brite Flats, light gauge. Again, to save a few dollars the buyer can opt to have me remove the strings.

-Upgraded strap buttons with a nice wide flange. They look like Dunlops to me, but I'm not sure since they came with the body when I bought it.

-Fender gig bag. I have some other cases available as an upgrade for anyone interested.

-I'm going to shield it with Stew Mac shielding paint. I am hoping to have the shielding done by this weekend (August 8-9).

Also included are chrome bridge cover and chrome pickup cover. I'll take some pics and post. I'll also re-take some daytime pics now that all repairs to the finish are complete.

$450 cash or equivalent. Local sale only unless the buyer wants to pay for shipping.
    14470315158_4153f42e1a_c. Untitled by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14656916825_6f20728ce3_c. Untitled by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14470311568_2d674aeb8c_c. Untitled by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14653693011_809baac253_c. Untitled by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14470311468_b514fa5e84_c. Untitled by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14470308758_6ae80e932c_c. Untitled by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14470297419_1995fc1d2a_c. Untitled by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14470246850_6504439349_c. Untitled by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14470296639_fa45dc2a7c_c. Untitled by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14470293759_ba446260f1_c. Untitled by alanpachter, on Flickr
    More pics:
    https://flickr.com/photos/53938144@N03/sets/72157645281966309

Let me know if you have questions.

Looking for local cash sale only. No trades, thanks.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Bump

3. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Bunp

4. Scungilli

Scungilli Guest

Feb 4, 2014
    Any trades? I have a brand new in box taylor gs mini mahogany

5. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Not really looking for a trade. Thanks for the interest!

6. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Just posted to Flickr some outside pics that show the finish imperfections.

7. Scungilli

Scungilli Guest

Feb 4, 2014
    Any interest in just selling the pickguard? And thumbreat and covers?

8. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Probably not. Might sell the ashtray covers separately if the bass buyer opts not to have them included in the sale.

9. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Update: just finished up the shielding. Will put the bass back together tomorrow to test her out.

10. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Update: this bass is now fully shielded and amp-tested for quiet. I also used my multi-meter to test for conductivity. This bass has passed my test!

11. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Bumpers

12. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Sold locally on CL for $450