1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mim classic Fender P vs 2008 American Standard P.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wallygator, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Ok here is the readers digest story. After buying and selling many cheap to mid range basses, I have finally realized that I am 100% a P guy.

I purchased a used classic 50's MIM honey blonde that I love and cherish. After that I picked up a used MIM standard P as my beater take anywhere workhorse.

Now regularly jamming with a band I am finding the MIM standard to be easier to play as I have small fingers and the string spacing is closer (I am aware of the 1.75 vs 1.63 nut widths)

So as much as I love the classic 50's I am starting to look at a Fender American Standard that I am going to check out on Thursday. I will most certainly have to sell one of them to make the deal?

Anyone with experience in both ? Which would you go for and why?

2. WallyN

WallyN

Jan 11, 2013
    bump

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Aside from the standard being slightly easier to play, are there any other features that make you prefer it to the 50's? If that's the only plus, it may be worth trying to get used to the string spacing on the 50's classic. I've only ever heard good things about the 50's....and it's got a higher resale value.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I personally don't care for 4 string necks that are 1.75" at the nut, and would go for the '08 without hesitation - since they're widely known to be consistantly good, there's little risk if you want a smaller neck than 1.75"... Plus, you'll get more money for the Classic by selling it, and end up with two basses with a similar feel by going that way...

- georgestrings

5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    What year is your MIM Standard P? ... I had found the MIM Standard P neck profiles to be considerably different than the American Standard/Series/Hwy ONE necks with the graphite support rods ... you will see for yourself though when you check out the '08 AmStand if it is a profile that you like ... and how well it compares to your MIM Stand

6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The American Standard will feel more like the MIM standard, so it might be the better choice. I got so used to the 1.75 nut on my Classic that I actually prefer it, but that's largely be because of the neck shape. If it was any thicker front to back (like the NAV 58), it wouldn't be right for me. If you really prefer the feel of the MIM std, the AmStd will be an awesome step up. Or you can just get used to the 1.75 of the Classic, which is one of the best P's Fender offers at any price point, IMO.

7. onefallinghope

onefallinghope

Nov 25, 2012
    Groton, CT
    I would personally take the MIM Classic P hands down over a MIA - my own preference.

And Honey Blonde is the color I've been looking for... So, If you've got to unload the Classic... :) Message me?

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Sorry, but that's not predictably the case. I've seen a lot of messed-up American Standards, plus FMIC sells a bunch of their QC rejects as "used" or by other B-stock designations at MF (they'll deny it, but it's true and has been for many years).

You always have to cherry-pick production basses. End of story.

I'm personally not a huge fan of American Standard features, as I've said many times.

9. WallyN

WallyN

Jan 11, 2013
    So I pulled the trigger on the American Standard but I was mistaken it was a 2011. Not a mark on her, even had the plastic still on the pick guard. Got an amazing deal so I decided to try her out and see which I prefer. So far it feels amazing, loving the neck, pickups sound great. I need to go grab a set of flats and I really think she is my dream bass.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Same 61276/7 set as on the Classic.

11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I go back and forth between the 1.75" nut width ('50s Classic and '75 P); the 1.625" (Japanese E-Series & 60th Anniversary P); and 1.5" (Jazzes) all the time and don't have a problem doing so. I also have an upright, so maybe that's why the different neck widths on the electrics don't bother me.

I will admit though, if I'm playing something real busy, I do prefer the thinner necks. But that's just nit-picking. There's not THAT much difference!

12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i wasn't a fan of the mij 62 ri jazz neck, cause it was too thin at the top of the neck for me, but the highway one p, and my 84 mij jazz are not a problem, the same with my flat profile 1.75" L2k