MIM classic or MIJ standard Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maxoges, Dec 22, 2003.

Witch one do you choose

Poll closed Jan 5, 2004.
  1. Fender MIM classic 60's

3 vote(s)
  2. Fender Japan standard

11 vote(s)
  1. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    MIM classic or MIJ standard Jazz bass? I'm gonna buy myself a Jazz. Witch one is the best bass?
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Fender Japan gets my vote, bigtime.
  3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    No contest. The MIJ wins.

4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I don't know the 60's classic is a real awesome bass. That one is pretty much a tossup!
  5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    MIJ for me too.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How much do MIJ standards cost?
  7. I've never played either of those, but in my experience Japanese Fenders have been superior to Mexican ones.
  8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have had great luck with the MIM Fenders. Still I have to admit that the Japanese Fenders are better made. I think many people base their opinions of the MIM's on the years when MIM's were less than stellar. Right now they are pretty good. Pick based on what you can afford. You win either way.

Dan :bassist:
  9. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I would tend to agree that the MIJ stuff is better than the MIM stuff. I had a chance to play the 60's classic jazz that is a MIM bass and it was not like other MIM basses. Has anybody else here played one?
  10. Fender Japan standard, but in this case, I would have a difficult time choosing.

Let us know what you decide!

11. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have a MIM that sounds like a million bucks, i have played a MIJ and it sounded great as well, but i will stick to mine
  12. MIJ. all the way I have three MIJ's from the 90's they are: 75 Jazz reissue w/maple board, fretless Jazz and a wonderful fretless A/E. MIJ's seem to play and feel like the real stuff Fender made pre CBS. I have had two MIM's in the past both buzz like crazy.
  13. MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have to agree with NJL. I have a 2002 MIM Jazz and love it. It's after they changed the pup's and the nobs back to the vintage style. I've got many compliments on this bass at gigs. I think it's definitely hit or miss with fenders. I got lucky by finding this one right out of the box at a local store. It was set up perfectly and all I've done to it was changed to D'Addarios. I recently played the exact same instrument (even color) at a Guitar Center and it felt much cheaper and harder to play than mine. Also, I tried a Highway One which I though felt cheap and not worth the money. The only bass I liked better that day was a Geddy Lee. I think if anyone played mine without looking to see what it was, they would think it was an MIA. But, like I said I probably got lucky b/c they had a 2001 black next to the one I bought and it felt and sounded different. It had the nobs with the numbers on them and both pup's were the same size.
  14. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Update on the purchase of the Classic Jazz.

I bought the Fender MIM classic 60's
    The truss rod was faulty somehow. The neck had a banana curve and the truss couldn't be tightned more. I took the bass to a fender workshop, later I retuned it to the dealer. I hope to get another one as soon as possible. I guess Fender scandinavia has to take the bass back.