1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM decision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Still looking to purchase a new bass. I want to get a J bass. What do you think would be a better choice... Player Series J or Geddy Lee J? Thanks!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'll be "that guy" and say "Sire V3". :p Not sure between those two, though, haven't played either.

3. alanloomis1980

alanloomis1980 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    My local shop just got a player j in and omg, its amazing. Gassing hard. Ive not tried the geddys but heard mixed reviews.

4. Scott Baiowulf

Scott Baiowulf

Apr 7, 2017
    Houston
    If you’re buying new I say go with the Players over the Geddy. The Geddy doesn’t really have anything to make the extra $250 worth it. Also the truss rod on the Geddy has a 70s style slot adjustment at the heel with no cutout on the body, so you have to loosen/remove the neck to adjust the truss rod, the Players adjusts with an Allen wrench at the headstock.

Marko 1 likes this.
  5. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    I had a old 90s MIM Jazz and I decided I wanted to upgrade to something a little shinier so I went with a Sire V7. It's an awesome bass and has tones of tonal variety, but I will say it did not satisfy my need for a traditional jazz bass. Sometimes you just need to go with the original. I would recommend the Player series. These MIM instruments seem to get better and better every year.

Marko 1 likes this.
  6. My first bass is a fever Squier series Jazz Bass. The cheapest thing you could get with fender on the headstock. It's the bass I've owned the longest by far. I don't doubt that an American one is better on average, but mim basses are nothing to be ashamed of in terms of real world quality.

7. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    You’d have to play them both. Bridge pickup on the Player is in the 60s position. It’s in the 70s position in the Geddy.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  8. These are great points! I understand the Player Series are excellent basses. Wasn’t too sure about the Getty Lee. Besides, pretty limited when it comes to color options... black and three tone burst.

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the PSJ. Now I just have to decide what color/fretboard combo. Thanks for the insight.

Marko 1 and Scott Baiowulf like this.
  9. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Neither if it was me. My vote would be for a MIM 60's Jazz. The Classic 70's is also really nice and probably more similar to the Geddy with the black inlays and same 70's pickup spacing. I had one and thought it was an incredible bass.

Nothing against the other two, just think the MIM Classics are really, really nice instruments. Personally, I'd base my decision on which neck profile I like the best. The Geddy Lee and Player necks are probably pretty different from each other, so go with the neck profile you prefer.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    jnewmark likes this.
  10. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The biggest reason to choose the Geddy over the Player is for the looks of the blocks and binding. If you don’t care about the blocks and binding, save the money and go for the Player.

11. I’m not interested in forking out $2,000 on a bass. Seeetwater doesn’t offer the Classic 70s J bass. So... looks like I’ll be contemplating what color and fretboard combo I want with the Player Series.

12. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    The geddy neck is by far the best neck I've ever played. But I just have it slapped on a built out bass I use to play live.

13. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux

There is no MIM that cost $2000, you looked at the wrong bass.

Fender '60s Jazz Bass - Olympic White w/ Pau Ferro Fingerboard

14. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Sweetwater has the Classic 60's Jazz bass 875 or there about somewhere. Under Fender 4 string basses 3rd page fourth line down. It is just called Fender 60's jazz bass.

15. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    My Squier VM 77 satisfies all my J needs.

16. It’s so funny you posted this. I have decided that that’s the route I am going... VM Jazz bass. Looking forward to playing it! Now, I just have to decide on a color.

Tvrtko likes this.
  17. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    DSCF8025.JPG
    This might help.

Bugeyed Earl likes this.