Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Deluxe Active Jazz Players.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DirtDog, Apr 14, 2005.

1. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    ...what sorts of amplification are you using? What do you like/dislike about your setup?

I'm looking at smaller 210 combo to satisfy my needs, so if you've got specific comments on any amp in this category, the feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

DD

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm playing a '96 MIA Deluxe Jazz V, which is probably close enough for comparison... Right now, I play it through two rigs. One is an Ashdown MAG300H into 1 or 2 1X15 cabinets. Not a portable rig, but after years of playing through many different configurations, it has everything I want in the tone department...

I also run a Carvin RC210 combo, which is portable enough and has plenty of power... With Carvin, you'll hear the term 'Bang-For-The-Buck', and that's my opinion... On my budget, it is a great performer at the price, or even more. Lacks most in the cabinet department, but again, at this price point, it's pretty darned good. Versatile in that the head can be pulled from the combo and used separately, (which I did for years), or the combo can be bi-amped, etc. etc... You get the idea... I don't have too many negatives here... Maybe it farts out a bit at higher volume on the low B, but I'd expect that from a fair number of 2X10 cabinets... I've had the Carvin since '98 and it has paid for itself many times over...

If I were looking today, I'd be tempted by the Ashdown MAG210 combo, or if taking the modular route maybe the deal at Avatar with the MAG300H and a 2X10 cab... This is just an opinion, so take it for what it's worth :D... I love the Carvin, but I think I've found a new home with Ashdown...

Good luck,

-robert

3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    ...interesting - the Mag210 is one of the combos I'm considering.....

DD

4. Dadio

Dadio

Dec 30, 2000
    Uxbridge, Canada
    I have a 2004 Vintage White MIM Deluxe Active Jazz and I'm using a Fender Bassman 200, Im very happy with the sound of this amp. :)

5. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    In a past post I spoke of how much I hate thes MIM deluxe basses and how their ****ty but I never really sat down and took time to play one I just stereotyped them being bad like INMO the majority of the other MIM fenders BUT I sat down and played one at GC the other day through a small GK practice amp and I must say pretty damn nice for that price very very good buy it was alot better than I thought.

But anyway I have an American Jazz deluxe aged chery burst and I play through my nice little GK cab and head! :smug:

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I ended up with a new Eden Nemesis NC 115 combo - 250W power amp, all the bells and whistles of a high end amp (inputs, outputs, tone shaping, compression, etc) in a very lightweight package (42lbs). I'm totally diggin' it despite my desire for a 210 combo.

DD

7. Nice man, is your Deluxe Active J one of the ones with Noiseless Pickups? What color is it?

8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Thanks, man!

No - I beleive those pups are only spec'd on the US model....I do have the 3-tone sunburst model, though, with the dark maroon pearloid pickcover. The previous owner modded the bass to include the chrome pup covers. Very retro looking, although I may ditch them as they are unnecessary weight.

DD