1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale/Trade MIM Deluxe Jazz Bass Loaded Body Price Drop

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by fhm555, May 1, 2020.

1. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Price:
    $375.00
    Can’t change the price showing at the top so i had to add this. Asking $350 shipped.
    Hey folks, if you ever wanted a black and tan with enough room for four knobs, or three knobs and a producer switch, here's your huckleberry. I got this bass second hand and it was in pretty bad shape and that was just what I saw and the seller disclosed, which was not everything I needed to know. It was filthy beyond imagination which I knew, but it also had the battery box screws epoxied in place where they were apparently stripped and needed to say in place so they could sell the thing.
    Anywho, after some cursing and beating I got in, but the epoxy took out chunks of wood when I broke it loose so rather than try to return it to it's original state, I went the easy route and set it up with a magnetic battery box cover which works just fine. I had to use a beat up old cover as I destroyed the original when I broke into the battery box. I intended to smooth it out and shoot it with some satin black when I was done, but I don't have any black in a spray bomb and I'm not going to the store to get any so it is what it is. It's perfectly functional as is and whomever winds up with it can do what they want with it. The dip in the edge of the cover is a coin/pick slot to aid in popping off the cover.
    On to the particulars.
    This is a Deluxe Jazz body with a side jack and a largish route to accommodate the Fender installed preamp and a separate battery compartment so there's plenty of room under the hood to add a preamp or push/pulls or whatever else you might want. All the holes are in good shape.
    The control plate is set up with 500K Bourns volume pots and a 500K Mojotone tone pot. I don't recall the cap value.
    It's got the stock Fender noiseless pickups and they are standard jazz bridge and neck dimensions .
    It's got an aftermarket threaded saddle bridge and the wire wrapped around it in the pics is the ground I forgot to install when I mounted the bridge. I was too lazy to take it back off to install it.
    If you want four knobs on top just wire up the side jack. It's a stereo jack still wired with the battery tab for the preamp but there's a new Switchcraft mono jack on the top plate so you have one if you want to wire it passive and run a side jack config.
    The scratch guard is what came on it as are the strap buttons. I'm including a neck plate and screws so all you really need is a loaded neck and a little soldering to wire it like you want it and you are GTG.
    The finish is in really good shape. It's got some minor nicks but I don't see anything that wouldn't buff out. All in all it's a sweet piece and really needs a new home. It was going to be the one I finally set up with an Aguilar 2 band pre with vol, vol, stacked tone, and a passive/active switch in position four, but I've run out of desire so it needs to find someone who will treat it right.
    To be clear, the control plate is wired but not connected to anything, the bridge ground will need to be installed, and the pickups and side jack are not connected.

OK, now for the fun part. I'm asking $350 shipped or trade. I'm not really looking for anything in particular ATM, but I'm always interested in amps and fishing reels.
    If you have any questions, please let me know. PM would be the best way to get my attention.
    Lastly, I've been horse trading most of my life so I'm not emotionally attached to anything I put up for sale and I can assure you I won't be offended by any offer.

body front 1.jpg body front 2.jpg body back 1.jpg body side 1.jpg bridge 1.jpg control plate 1.jpg battery box 1.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Chitosmon, pedroditz, 6tzguy and 2 others like this.
  2. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Do you know what year this body is, and if it's alder or poplar?

3. pablop

pablop

Apr 28, 2009
    Los Angeles CA
    What is the weight?
    Do you know what wood? Alder?

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Loaded weight is just over 6 pounds by my bathroom scale. As far as I know it's alder but I'm going on general wisdom which says MIM's switched from poplar or basswood to alder in the early 2000's. That and all the info I can find on MIM Deluxe J basses since 2000 lists the body wood as alder.