Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mim fender 5-string jazz... DiMarzio ultrajazzes?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr.Typhus, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

Sep 14, 2004
    Finland
    Hi!

I got Fender Mim jazz bass 5-stringer and i want to get better pickups for it... So i am thinking of changing the stock pickups to Dimarzio ultrajazzes. but the problem is that i cant find specs for ultrajazz 5-string pickup anywhere on net! :crying: So anybody got those on jazz? will they fit? ... i live in finland so i cannot have bartolinis or nordstands from store :/ and i dont have creditcard so i cant order pickups from outside of finland :( can anybody help me?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The ultrajazz 5 strings are both bridge length, i.e. 3.73"

bestbassgear.com will ship overseas, and they also take paypal IIRC - you don't need a credit card for that.

3. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

Sep 14, 2004
    Finland
    Thanks! :) ...But i feel more commortable to order those on the local music store :) anyone got exact specs for those?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    exact specs for what? The UJ5 are standard jazz pickup width, and I just gave you the route lengths.
    If you want frequency response, wiring diagrams etc, go to dimarzio.com

5. Roivas

Roivas

Jul 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    From DiMarzio's website:

"Important Note: The cover dimensions of the Ultra Jazz 5 are not the same as 5-string Fender Jazz Bass. The Ultra Jazz 5 can therefore NOT be installed as direct replacements on these basses without modification."

This has been bothering me as well. I've only had my Mexican 5 string for a few days, so I haven't seriously started looking for new pickups yet.

6. i had to get pickguard cut in rectangles to go around each pickup to install those pickups because theyre too small. it looks really good though, and they sound realllly good. if you have the money, ide advise it indefinitly

7. Roivas

Roivas

Jul 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cool, if that's all there is to it, I'll probably get 'em as well.

Thanks.