Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Fender 60s Classic Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zeek, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Zeek

Zeek

Mar 20, 2003
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    The MIA Jazz is a bit expensive for me. I'm thinking about buying the MIM 60s Classic Jazz Bass instead. I would like some comments from owners. Craftsmanship, sound, setup, hardware, etc. What does it look like under the pickguard? Does it have quality (reverse) tuners? Can the truss rod be adjusted without removing the neck? Is it of better quality than the MIM Standard Jazz? Any info would help. Thanks.

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    someone just bought run recently.. look around on this forum.. he gave it good reviews

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I just received mine today :D ! I got one of the last FSR Bugundy Mist Metalic w/matching Headstock models :cool: .

Since I just got it, I'm going to try not to give one of those geeked-up Harmony-Central reviews ;), but I'll try to answer some of your questions.

I'm very happy with the craftsmanship of the bass. I bought it over the 'net, and it is in better shape than any of the same models that I have played in stores. It's not quite an American Vintage, but the one I just bought is much better than most Standard (MIM) Jazzes.

The setup was good. I lowered the action slightly, and only had to tweek the intonation on the E and A strings slightly. Also, the nut is cut very well.

Sound is subjective, so I'll just say that I like it very much. Some people like to change the pickups on these basses, but I'm keepin' 'em!

There is very little relief in the neck of my bass and it plays great, so I haven't needed to adjust the truss rod. It looks like the truss rod can be adjusted by just removing the pickguard (which I haven't done yet), but I'm not sure.

The bridge and the tuners seem solid. Some people don't like the reverse tuners, but I found that I actually like turning clockwise to tune up.

I bought this bass to be a passive backup to my two active basses, but I think it's going into the #1 slot. I'm going to gig with it this weekend and put it to the real test. Right now, I'm a happy camper :D !

(I'm attaching a small pic not my actual bass).

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played a few of the these basses & I think that they're really well made & sound great. I compared one to a USA 62 RI & IMO, the MIM played & felt better. These are very subjective opinions. You definitly can't beat it for the money!!!

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've played six of these basses now, and I'm very impressed with every one of them. The construction is top notch and it feels great and sounds killer. Excellent slapper and fingerstyle had alot of great growl to it.