1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM Fender bass keys?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NOVAX, Apr 27, 2009.

1. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    I need a set of quality drop in replacement bass tuners. I know
    Schaller and Gotoh have candidates. But I've heard there are
    models from Ping and/or Hipshot. Anyone have the info I'm
    searching for? I know it's probably been covered, but I was
    hoping for a little feedback/input etc. Thanks.

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Hipshots Rock! They were real easy to install.

3. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Good to know. Thanx guys. What about the Pings? The price looks right.
    The Hipshots are exceedingly expensive.

4. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I bought a black Hipshot set for my MIM P Bass. They fit great, were lighter, and smoother than the stock set. No drilling!

Go to bass parts resource. They have those at a pretty decent price.

5. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
  6. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    The sitch is a USA Jazz neck that some dubov drilled for MIM tuners and filled the
    original ultralite "teeth" holes. My question to you guys: should I get the original Fender/
    Schaller ultralite-boron tuners (I can get them for 72 bux + tax) and fill the MIM holes,
    or get the Hipshots at $75 and cover up everything?

7. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    In my humble opinion, the hipshots are the lightest, best, easiest alternative. Yeah, they're pricey, but they will last forever.

8. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Not exactly. Same shape but the baseplate is black, made of boron impregnated nylon, and weighs much less. The tuner you show would be orig. on a 2001 so, I guess I meant current orig. equipment.

I want to cover the holes with light tuners.

I guess maybe the ones I have are Pings (If that is stock on an MIM)

9. the current fender lightweights are hipshots http://www.basspartsresource.com/images/large/007-5116-000.jpg
    the fender deluxe with black casing are schallers
    http://www.basspartsresource.com/images/large/007-5116-000.jpg
    both are lightweight but neither will cover the holes your MIM tuners made.

10. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    FWIW --and I've been paying attention to this for months now, since I've been fooling with replacement parts and mods and such-- the stock MIM tuners are very stable. They don't have the traditional cylindrical look of the Hipshot replacements or the classics, but the only reason I have found so far to replace them is the non-traditional appearance. There may be differences in mass, but they haven't affected my efforts at all. So, for now at least:

MIM tuners = Thumbs up.

11. Yeah - before you actually change out these 'inferior' MiM machines, just try this first::

While they are tuned to specs, release the screws that mount them on the back of the head about 1/2 turn each and re tighten them starting with the two screws farthest away from the body and then the last two.

If that doesn't reset the clearances and make them a lot easier to use and smoother, then it may be time to replace them for whatever reason you want.

I find the MiM machines more than good - all the way to almost great.

[​IMG]

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    The only reason i would have to replace my MIM tuners is for looks or to say I added a cool after market tuner. I have owned several MIMS gig them, and never have I had a tuner problem on a MIM. SX...thats another story.

13. I just replaced the tuners on my 2010 MIM Standard Jazz with the Hipshot HB7s. I mainly wanted the tension adjustment.

I used the old bushings since the Hipshot ones were a little loose in the hole. Also, another positive is the Hipshots allowed me to get the string lower on the post.

Here is a pic just after replacing the E tuner.

[​IMG]

David

14. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    ^
    Cool comparison photo.

15. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I like the HB-7's. I own both the HB-7's and the HB-2's, and they feel like silk. Just my .02

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just replaced the crappy tuners on my MIM Jazz with the Hipshot HB-7's! Like night and day! Way better product and they seem lighter.

17. Dean712

Dean712

May 3, 2005
    I have a '99 MIM Jazz bass. The stock tuners were acceptable, but I really prefer a tighter tuner, so I recently replaced them with Hipshot HB-7's. The Hipshots were a direct replacement. I used the previous screws and bushings. Holes lined up exactly. The new Hipshots are great - I adjusted the tension on them via the allen screw on each tuner and cranked them way down nice and tight. They are now exactly where I always wanted them to be. Nice and tight, and the tuners are smooth and accurate. Highly recommended for MIM Jazzes.