MIM Fender Deluxe Active Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Aug 20, 2003.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Those Mexicans Deluxe jazz basses, active are sold in the used market cheaply here in italy.

i have never tried one.

i am really curious about your comments on the quality of sound, pickups and preamp.

since i think that the bass is a mexican with upgraded electronics, i would like to hear comments most on the electronics and sound.

2. I owned one. The pickups and the preamp are surprisingly good.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own both versions of that bass, the MIM and the MIA. The MIM bass was the first one I bought. It is a very good buy for the money with a good pre-amp and pups, very clean sounding with no hiss or hum.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I have one and am very happy with it. I believe that the pickups and electronics are MIA.

The neck is pretty thick in profile but it plays well. I ended up shimming the neck a bit to get the action down where I want it.

I like the sound, the look (mine's red) and the playability.

The main difference between the MIM and the MIA is that the MIA has graphite rods in the neck and a string through the body bridge. I like the sustain on the MIA instruments better, but for the price difference I'm perfectly happy with my Mexi J5.
  5. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I think that's right and, if I'm not mistaken, they're the same as on the MIA active jazz. I have a MIM deluxe jazz. It's an awfully good bass for the money.

6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It has been posted here that the MIM version and the MIA version have the same electronics, well I have the last year (98) the MIA dlx had the 1/4 slugs and pre-amp designed by John Suhr before he left Fender. Now the MIM dlx basses do have the 1/4 inch slugs and an american pre-amp but I don't think it is a Suhr pre-amp. Like I posted before I own BOTH basses and while the MIM bass is a great bass it does not sound like the MIA version. What also was not mentioned here is the MIA dlx has a 22 fret neck and a smaller body! Also has Schaller light weight tuners I believe with abalone inlays in the neck, that's in addition to the stb and the graphite reinforced neck. It also has horizontal string adjustment capability's. That is what the extra money is for.