Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Fender J bass. Good idea?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shearstown, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I'm currently playing a Samick Greg Bennet signautre series (Budget bass) And looking to step up. I play left handed and live in Newfoundland Canada and it is much harder to find good lefties around. But I found this one.

[​IMG]

It sounded quite nice and with a fair bit of saving it could be in my budgest. I've been playing three years and believe that this is my next step up in guitar. Is this a good idea? Anything I should know in advance of this instrument? Anyone here own one?

2. If you like the way it sounds, the way it plays and the way it looks and it's in your price range, it sounds like a good choice to me. You can't go wrong with a Jazz Bass (assuming it's structurally sound). It is an excellent "move up to bass."

3. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Are jazz basses good for a rock group and solo style. Because I play both.

4. I bought a Samick budget bass, too. It's pretty good. As good as a Fender MIM.

If you're wanting to truly move up, I'd really think hard about getting a MIA Jazz bass.

The Jazz is always a good choice for rock and solo playing. Of course, there are lots of good choices.

5. union jack

union jack

Sep 19, 2005
    New Orleans
    I just picked one up in that color that you posted in your pic. Been playing bass only for a few months, but have been playing guitar for over 20 years and so far I love this bass.It has enough tone variations that it will fit what you want it for.

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    MIMs are great. I don't buy the "GET A MIA" party line.

7. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I second that!!! I have three.....all great basses!! Think of it this way too, for the money you could spend on a MIA, you could get two MIMs! A fretted and Fretless!!

8. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    There doesn't really seem to be too much difference in the MIM and MIA's except for price from what I've heard. I also heard the Japanese models are excellent.

9. It's not that MIM's are bad, but rather, in my opinion, the new Greg Bennet Jazz Bass copies are just as solid.

So, seeing as how, in my opinion, he already has a bass with the same quality of a MIM, he should get something better.

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The main difference is construction...

11. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I think it will be great.

12. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I have a p-bass copy, and the mim sounds wayyyyy better than it.

13. The way I figured it out is that MIM's are apparently less consistent in build quality then MIA's. Also they got cheaper electronics.

What I did was I found a MIM that was mechanically healthy, good neck, resonant, and all that, then I swapped pickups (I put Lundberg vintage ones in mine), adjusted action and intonation, and got myself a sweet bass.

You can do some shielding, there was a pictorial somewhere on forums, mine wasn't shielded at all.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What is your bass? It is the FAIRLANE™ FN 1 which looks like this?
    [​IMG]
    If so, the MIM Fender will be a very small upgrade at best. I've tried a few Samicks in a local shop that used to carry them, and I've always been impressed with them. I'd stick with the Samick and put any money you may have into other stuff. Unless you're using a right handed Samick turned over to Left hand, in which case, you'll probably be much happier with the real left handed guitar.

I love MIM Fender basses, they offer a fantastic value, and if you get it I'm sure you'll be happy with it. However, from what little I know of Samick's budget stuff I have a great deal of respect for them.

What kind of amplifier are you using today? Would the money be better spent in that area?

15. The FN-1 is a great bass. I picked mine up for under $200 and am very happy. From what a Samick tech said when "I called their info line, the pups are unlabeled Seymour Duncan Hot for Jazz.

According to the tech, Samick actually owns SD, and the pups, while not branded with the SD label, are put into their instruments.

16. Yeah, on the MIM's they bolt the neck on thru the front of the neck... :confused: :confused:

um, I mean...how so? Are you talking construction or components?

And yeah, MIM jazz basses. good idea. they should make those. ;)

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    MIM "Standard" necks are completely different from USA necks. MIMs have the truss rod adjuster at the headstock, MIA have it at the body. MIAs have graphite reinforcement, MIM does not. These are substantial differences in construction. The MIM specialty basses like the "60s" classic are different, and sustantial upgrades from the "standard" instruments.

18. That's cool Phil, I was just joking... hence my smily wink at the end. I realise now it didn't "read" like that, sorry.

Mon

19. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I like my samick percision bass but I think this is a good step up. By the way my amp is a crate bx-100

20. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    MIM Fenders are fine basses albeit often inconsistent (some play better than others—most do well after a decent set up if need be). However seeing as there aren't too many budget lefty basses hanging around, and you like this axe, I say go for it. Keep in mind, despite what you might have heard on this thread, the New American Series Jazz is clearly a better axe and well it should be given the additional money (the old American Standard Series on the other hand…well...that's another story).

You know, I'm no big fan of Samick but off hand I'd say a MIM J is only a slight step up from what you already have. Given this, why not save a little longer and go for an American J; even a used one? Heck, you could always opt for Godin; they're build right next door in Quebec, after all. In the end, I guess it’s all a matter of what you dig; you like the Mexican J; go for it. But I think you might be selling yrself a little short. Think big!!!!

r