Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Fender Jazz 5/Brice Jazz 5 comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I spent some time at my local music store this morning. They had several MIM Jazz 5's and I got to check them out. Compared to my Brice the fretwork was not as good (some sharp edges,)the pots felt cheap(free wheeling,)the bridge was a standard Fender type where as the Brice has a nice high mass bride, and on every one of these basses the pickup poles were off center from the strings. That may not have any real effect but even my Essex does not have that problem. Their price was $429.00 plus tax. My Brice was 299.00 plus 22.00 shipping. I feel that I came out way better with the Brice. OK,let the flaming begin!

2. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I forgot to mention the Fenders did have one in the plus column. Where the Brice has standard "elephant ear" tuners the Fenders had nice Gotoh's

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have a black Brice 'Douglas' 5 string Jazz that I bought new for $199. IMO, its superior to every MIM Fender jazz I've tried (plenty over the years). I personally prefer the elephant-ear type tuners, which operate fine on the Brice.

The fretwork on mine was excellent, but I levelled them down a bit "just in case". Action after adjustment was good, not great, so I slightly shimmed the neck and now its perfect. I didn't care at all for the finish on the back of the neck, so I sanded the neck down (nice piece of wood, BTW) and put on several coats of tung oil. VERY nice, and the gaudy Brice logo is gone. The pickups were OK, not bad but not great, so I ordered a pair of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz 5's (both neck-sized) which I am still waiting for in the mail.

End result is that I STILL paid a bunch less than a Fender MIM Jazz, have a much better bass overall, and have those cool block inlays on the neck.

If you want a plug and play, keep it as it is bass, an AMERICAN Fender is the best way to go for sure. But if you plan on modding it anyway, the value of the Brice can't be beat, IMO.

4. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My last Fender was an American Standard Jazz. Fit and finish was wonderful and sounded like it should. The only problems were 2 deadspots on the neck.