MIM fender jazz bass with basslines?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassingeorge, Aug 3, 2003.

1. hello, I'm new in the forum, this is my first thread and looking forward to posting more!
    anyway let's talk about my bass; it's a mexican fender jazz, the first 3 months sounde great, then the sound became thin to the point that it sucked...I planned on buying pickups, so i did, I bought seymour duncans basslines Sjb-3 quarter pounders for jazzbass, I didn't have the chance to test them out, so I was wondering if anyone have expirience with these pickups? Will the sound improve?:bassist:
  2. Basho

Basho Guest

You might try new strings before new pickups.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Also, take a look at the "pickups" forum.
  4. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    why would the sound change after 3 months? that doesn't make any sense to me. unless the strings aged 12 months worth in 3 months or it's an active bass and the batteries are dead?
  5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    if its because of the bass itself, it probably would be the strings, if its because you heard other basses that sound fuller or whatever, pickups, or what I would suggest is getting a J-Retro put in
  6. the thing is, that the sound of the bass with the stock pup's thinned out, and believe me, I chenge strings every 3 weeks! anyway, I wanted a fuller sound, a more alive sound, so I changed to these pup's but I didn't test them (well just the P bass version, and it sounded awesome), but just wanted to know if anyone of you guys has expirience with these pup's...
  7. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    your question would definitely get more attention in the 'Pickups' forum.
  8. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    if the pickups aren't shot I'd say go with a retro, if the pickups are busted, then get new pickups, but if you still have the money, get a retro, I have one in both my jazz style basses.
  9. I already tried that thread in the pickup section and so far I have 0 replies!! oh and I waaas going to get the j-retro..out of ebay that is, but it ended up being to expensive, almost to the point that I could've gotten a new one.:meh:
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Something's wrong if the sound is chainging like that.

Anyway, I had a 1995 MIM Jazz bass, I pulled the stock pickups and put Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in mine. It sounded great both before and after the pickup swap, but the Duncans did sound different. IMO it was a waste of money, I think the stock Fender MIM pickups are severely underappreciated and sound great. And I'm not just saying that because I'm selling my old ones either. :)

IMO the J-Retro is a waste of money on a MIM J bass also.

I understand the frustration with the low readership rate on the pickups forum. It's tough to separate the two since you're talking about a specific bass and what pickups would work with it.