1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mim fender jazz bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jrutt, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Jrutt

Jrutt

Dec 11, 2011
    I just bought this jazz bass and I love it. It is has a really smooth neck and a real twangy sound. I hear many people say that I should change the pickups because the will start to make nosie. What would you recommend?

2. I would recommend playing it out. Don't get too into modding it unless you really think you need it.

Go with the type of sound you want, not what others say. If you have specific problems, then you ask us.

3. Jrutt

Jrutt

Dec 11, 2011
    Thanks! \m/

4. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    You don't have to do anything to it. If you want you can change out the pickups or bridge or pick guard or just leave it as is. Will the pickups eventually need to be replaced because they will become noisy? You may be thinking of the pots that become "scratchy" in some basses because of dust, dirt, soldering becomes old, etc.
    The only problem I had with my MIM Fender Jazz was that it wasn't shielded good. But that was soon solved with some shielding paint. Hope this helps

5. Jrutt

Jrutt

Dec 11, 2011
    Thanks again! \m/ The more I play it the more I love it!

6. A good cheap guitar is the best feeling in the world. Not only did you get it for the right price, but it's like you went to the Humane Society and found your perfect dog, and it only cost a hundred dollars. Give it a few months and you might even find yourself cuddling with it for warmth in your own bed.

Think about it, if there was some sort of NFP for unwanted guitars:

Strat body-mix, good for children, too lite for tubes, but perfect for a first guitar family. Loves playing with other guitars.

7. Tom Cileski

Tom Cileski Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    USA
    If you go back to Bass Guitar Forums and click on Pickups and Electronics there is a good Sticky thread on "J" pickups at the top of the page. Both pickups on my Mim Jazz are the same length...3 5/8". Regular Jazz pickups are 3 3/4" at the bridge and 3 5/8" at the neck. You might want to get measurements and be sure they'll fit before you buy a set.

8. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I suspect that they are talking about 60 Hz hum and are not saying that the pickups degrade and become noisy over time. Unless you have one of the MIM models with the "noiseless" (ie, dual coil hum canceling) pickups you will find situations where you will get a lot of 60 Hz hum from single coil pickups if you solo one or the other. This is true of all single coil pickups, Fender MIM single coil pickups are as good as most in this respect (there are some single coils with a lot of magnetic shielding that may be somewhat better). The solution is to run both pickups at equal volume if you find yourself in this situation. You can literally set the volume where you want it on one pickup with the other set to zero and then slowly turn up the volume on the other pickup and you will hear the point where the hum goes away. Leave it there and you are good to go, for the rest of that night anyway.

Now, you can replace your pickups with hum canceling pickups to eliminate the need to ever fiddle with pickup balance to eliminate 60 Hz hum if you want. You would want to look for pickups that claim to be "dual coil", "hum canceling", or "split coil". The first kind will tend to give a mellow tone that many dislike, the last kind is essentially a P type pickup squeezed into a J type housing and will give a tone at least somewhat close to a single coil, the middle term is too generic to tell you what you are getting or what to expect. You might want to play this bass for a while and see if hum canceling would be of great benefit in your normal playing locations or just a waste of time, money, and effort.

Personally I think the Fender MIMs are great basses. I have the Deluxe Active Jazz and couldn't be happier with it.

Ken