Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe V vs. Specter Legend 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raycer, Nov 30, 2004.

1. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Which would be the better choice in your opinions. I know in the end I have to compare the sound myself, but I am curious as to which one of them would you guys and gals prefer and why. Both are only a 10 or so dollars apart in price.

I mostly play metal/rock/punk and also folk songs and Christmas type music.

2. I haven't tried the Spector, but I really like my Fender Deluxe V. It's been upgraded with Bartolini pickups and a BTB-01 preamp, though.

[​IMG]

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Spector Legend. I have a 6'er. It's very nice. They are probably very comparable.

4. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I can only speak for the Fender,as I have never played the
    Spector. I bought this Bass in 1998 and have dragged it from one end of the country to the other, and it has performed
    like a pro.I had the neck and the intonation adjusted summer
    before last and it has not moved.The sound is very adjustable
    I can dial in a good Slap&Pop sound then a good rich thick
    Blues tone.I only paid $450 for it w/gig bag.I have alot of Basses but this one is a workhorse.I was looking for a inexpensive decent Bass to travel with in case it was damaged
    or lost,I could go to a Guitar Center anywhere in the country
    and replace it .It is the only Bass I have with a Pao Fero fretboard and I like it alot.

5. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    In terms of being versatile in tone variations, which would you say has more potential?

BTW the Jazz V I speak off has noiseless pick ups on it.

6. The Spector has active electronics and should be a little lighter than the Fender.

Both have pretty versatile tone.

7. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    if you slap at all the spector will have a better slap tone. and the B string on the the fender may be a little floppy being A 34" scale and MIM.

8. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I think that you will find that the 2 are quite different, so you gotta go with what you like. Personally, i would try to buy an American fender or the Czech Spector . I think that the Spector legend is made in Korea, no?
    (If you are interested, I have a Fender (American) Jazz Bass that I will be selling. I can take some pics for you if you like.)

9. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I played a Spector at a local music store today,I do not know if it was the same model you are looking at. It was $550 and
    it had a SSD on the headstock, and the body was curved.
    It was an OK Bass.I personally would not buy one.But that is just me.

10. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Thats probably the Chinese version. I wouldn't touch it either. i don't even understand why spector makes those.
    You should expect to pay around $1400.00 and up for a brand new Spector Euro 5.
    Personally, I would buy one used. No difference.

11. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY

I'd love the MIA but I'm sure it is out of my price range :)

12. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    You don't know if you dont ask!!!
    I paid $700 for it. It's 5 strings. Gotoh tuners, Lace Sensor pups, control cavity on back, no pickguard then, rosewood fret board. Plays nice. It's an American fender. 1992.

13. IMHO, the B-string on my Fender Deluxe V is great. I use non-tapered strings. They just seem less floppy and a little more defined to me...

14. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I mostly agree with you also. A 34' scale is just so much more natural in the hands also. There's a reason why Roger Sadowsky uses only 34" scale. It's all in the proper set up and quality.