Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM fender jazz std vs MIM fender jazz dlx

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rocking 4 life, Jul 21, 2002.

1. MIM fender jazz standard

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. MIM fender jazz deluxe

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Which is the better? and why?
    Is the deluxe worth the extra money?
    Should I save the money and buy the standard?

thoughts?

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    It really depends what you want to use them for. What sound are you going for, what's currently in your arsenal? If you flesh out the options here a little bit, it will make it much easier for others to recommend something.

3. I'm looking for as many sounds as possible and this is going to be my first bass, i've been looking for a bass for about a year now, so i pretty much know i want a fender jazz, i love the feel and the sounds of it. I'm just not sure if i should get the deluxe or standard.

edit : i'm also looking for a bass i'm not going to grow out of.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    OK, I guess between these two then it really comes down to whether you want to go for the active EQ circuit of the Deluxe or not. Now here's the dilemma as I see it: the active circuit will give you more tones, but generally very few active basses can sound quite like a passive one. So if the tone you want is a classic passive one, the standard will be hard to beat. Another route might be to get the standard and then later go for one of the aftermarket preamps, which tend (IME) to be superior to Fender's circuits. Either way you'll have a solid bass that can even serve as backup if and when you go for something fancier.

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well the retail of the MIM Jazz deluxe is 770$ and the retail of the MIM standard is 550$.

I´ve heard opinions that Fenders active electronics "ain´t all that". So since you´re considering the MIM deluxe Vs. Standard, I´d probably go with the standard one. Then you have to option of adding J-retro later on if you want to.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Standard plus a J-Retro. Simply cannot beat that JRetro for tones, and the passive option, if you want that.

7. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    i'm thinking of getting the deluxe j too. but now i'm thinking that i should buy a standard and add a j-retro to it. how much do j-retros cost? and how much would the installation be?

EDIT: does j-retro have a website?

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  9. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Get the standard and upgrade it. The upgrades you can get for the difference in price between the standard and the deluxe will make your standard a lot better than a deluxe.