1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM Fender Jazz trade up to Warwick $$ or STD?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kristlik, Nov 29, 2006.

1. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm looking to trade up from my MIM Fender Jazz: just getting tired of the hum and hiss. I've been getting more interested in the Warwick Corvette STD, but I've also heard good things about the Double Buck. I've played finger style guitar for quite a few years, as well as the piano (flute and accordion when I was a kid). My short coming has been really thick fingers that never seem to have quite enough room (I'm one of the only people I know that can't play between the black keys on a piano); but when I started the bass, it felt like it was just made for my hands--just been having a blast.

So I'd really like to take a step to really enjoy that great bass sound as well.

I'd like a very versatile bass, that will be fun to play many different styles on: blues, reggae, funk, jazz, rock and anything else that sounds good.

Which bass will provide the most room for my fingers? Also, is it better to continue to learn with a 4 string bass, or is a 5 string just as easy to learn on?

Price range: the Warwick STD or $$ are really right at the top of my range (a bit of a stretch at that).

How does the Warwick $$ compare to the STD? I played the Warwick STD a bit today; I was really floored by it. Also, I ran across a good deal on a 5 string $$--what are the pros and cons on the 5 string $$ compared to a 4 string STD?

And most importantly, are there other basses in this price range that I would be better off looking at: better value, better sound, more fun to play?

Thanks

2. You might just want to think about upgrading you MIM with better pickups. If you do this, you'll get rid of all hum and hiss and make the tone 100 times better. You don't get much better than a Jazz for versatility.

However, if you're looking for that Warwick sound, the Corvette STD or $$ are both nice options. Haven't looked at specs, but you certainly won't get any more room in terms of string spacing with the 'Wicks. I've played a $$ before, but really don't have enough experience with one to offer detailed tone characteristics. If you go with the STD, I'd recommend getting the active version. More tone options and control.

A word of warning concerning string spacing: most 5-strings have tighter string-spacing. This may not work well for you. This is especially true with 'Wicks. Warwick does offer a "broad neck" option on some of their models, such as the Thumb BO 5 and 6 string, but I don't believe they offer this option on the 'Vettes. If you absolutely have to have a 5-string, look around. There are a few basses out there that have fairly wide necks which make the string-spacing not much tighter than a 4-string. A Lakland is one example.

3. Aside from what is covered above, I'd like to comment about the double humbucker pickup set up. I was all for this type of setup, as it seemed to be the ultimate setup on paper. I got out to try a few double humbuckers. I tried the Corvette$$, Stingray HH, and a Bongo HH.

I decided that the setup was just not for me. It didn't allow enough room in my comfortable playing areas. The huge pickup near the neck, which is my favored playing area, just seemed to get in the way. So I would definately try one out before buying it, you may find something like that bothers you as much as it bothers me.

4. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    I had a similar problem with the Marcus Miller Jazz. I liked the guitar, but the pickup guard kept getting in the way. I don't play much right by the bridge, but even so, it felt really cramped when I did; and playing by the neck felt really unnatural and cramped as well.

Has anyone ever taken the pickup cover off of a Marcus Miller? Does it still look ok?

5. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    All three of my Corvette Standards hummed. They didn't hum as bad as my MIM Active Jazz.