MIM Fender Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alexander, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I've been looking at this bass, especially since I've heard so many good things about the value of MIM Fenders. They seem to have relatively good fit and finish and I know I can eventually change out the electronics (maybe a set of basslines?). For $400 it seems hard to beat. I have a Warwick Thumb 4, but wanted to look for a less expensive 5 string to play at church and maybe loan out to others as several people I know are wanting to learn and I'd like to help them out (without letting them touch my Thumb:rolleyes: )

Any thoughts on this? Any experience with this particular bass?
  2. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I have two of them - a Deluxe Active and a Standard Jazz. The Standard has more authentic Jazz tone than the Deluxe Active, but it has a bit of noise sometimes (classic single-coil problem). They're a great value for the money, and you get the classic Jazz tone, too.
  3. dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    $400.00 for the bass is a little high on the used market. You should be able to find a Deluxe w/hsc for that pretty easy. Now if thats a new bass, thats a great price. I watch them on ebay pretty close, and there are some nice basses over there right now. Great bass, tons of sound for the money, I don't think you will be dissapointed.
  4. Nofrets

Oct 28, 2002
    Palm Harbor, FL
    I picked up a MIM Deluxe Active at the Mars bankruptcy thing a couple of weeks ago (red w/tortoise pickguard. A combination that apparently nobody wanted) and actually played a show with it Saturday. For the money I'm very happy with it. I tried the MIM Standard also and like JazzX says, it has more of the traditional Jazz sound to it.

I personally prefer the Active though. The controls have decent gain and I was able to tweak what was going direct-out through the PA to a sound that I was happy to play to. I wish I could say that about all of my basses. The pick-ups are relatively quiet too.

The only complaint is that all 34 scale B's seem floppy to me. It's definately not any worse than any of the other moderately priced 5 strings I've played. I changed strings, adjusted the action and intonation and am pretty happy with it now.