Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Fender Jazz VS Godin SD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob W, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Very often young or beginning players come to this forum and ask us to recommend a good bass for around $400 or less. It certainly seems that a great number of players keep recommending the MIM Fender Jazz, which I will admit is a pretty decent entry level bass. I've done some research myself and am always looking at new instruments all the time so my recommendation has been the Godin SD, which quite frankly, is a heck of a lot more than an entry level instrument, but the price is only slightly more. Since I live in Canada, I don't know what US buyers would pay, but the Canadian price converts to around $385 which is only slightly more then the Fender.

I guess my question is, are you all quite familiar with the Godin SD, or do you just sort of pass over my recommendation because you don't know whether it's a good bass or not? I haven't had too many people say, "Yeah Rob, that's a great bass. I don't know why anyone could consider anything else in that price range", nor have I had the opposite, "Gee, that's a terrible bass!". There has been pretty much no reaction.

Who here has played one objectively?

I own 5 instruments from Godin, and not one of them has any element of crappiness. They are all superbly crafted and very consistent in quality. The materails and hardware are also top notch. Besides they are made In Canada and the US, not in Mexico or the Orient where working conditions aren't always the most favourable to the worker.

If you haven't played one you can check out the specs here:
    http://www.godinguitars.com/godinsdbassspecsp.htm

If you haven't played one, tell me that too. I just feel like I'm making a pretty honest assessment of what I feel to be by far the best buy out there, but am being met with blank stares.

BTW, probably a big reason why a lot of you don't know much about Godin is that they spend next to nothing on advertising. Why do you think they can sell such great instruments for so little money?

2. You guys are certainly proving my point pretty well. :) Doesn't anybody have an opinion on this, or do you just figure the MIM Jazz is the only choice in that price range?

3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've followed your lead on this before - I think the Godin SD series is pretty nice. I tried one out a while back and thought it was great. I do wonder about availability for most people, though. I found (by accident) 2 local places (in Houston) that are Godin dealers but would most people be able to find one and try it out? You can find, try out, and look for "good one" of a Fender standard bass just about anywhere while Godins are probably going to be few and far between. Even mail-order it's harder to find Godins than Fenders (I searched the web for Godin dealers back when I was thinking about getting an SD for a backup).

Personally I'd get the Godin before the Std Fender but what I actually have for the same price as a new SD is a used G&L SB-1. But not everyone is willing to go used and less experienced players may not be comfortable going that route (although it's one of the best ways to get the best value for your dollar).

I think in that price range ($300-350) there are a lot of choices new that are comparable - Std Fenders, the Godin, imported Hamers, Ibanezes, Cort Curbow, Deans, Epiphones, Yamahas, Peaveys, etc. All of which are pretty reasonable quality and it comes down to personal preference. However the name value of the Fender makes it a good choice for possible resale (if that's important). It's probably also true that some of the "smaller names" like Godin put out a higher quality instrument at the same price point as the bigger names (Yamahas also seem to be very well-built at their price points).

It's also important for the shopper to at least be aware of the mail-order sources and their prices in order to get the best price out of their local dealer (if they are concerned about going mail-order). Taking best advantage of price-matching policies requires finding the best prices (I love the web for this).

4. Thanks for answering. :) I was starting to get a complex.

I guess if anybody is curious where to buy Godin, all you have to do is look on their website under "Dealer Listing", click on the map of your state, and away you go. I looked under Texas and there were something like 2 dozen Godin dealers.

I guess I am in a slightly different situation here since many Canadian stores really tend to promote the Godin/Seagull stuff. We have one rather large (and quite good) chain of music stores in Canada called Long and McQuade that heavily distribute Godin. There's at least one of their stores in just about every major city in Canada. They do tend to focus on the acoustic guitars which are the lion's share of the Godin/Seagull business, but Long&McQuade have practically stopped stocking anything else in acoustic guitars because nothing else comes close to matching their quality - especially at those prices.

Aparently a very large percentage of Godin guitars and basses are exported out of Canada (something like 80%) so they must be going somewhere.

Even still, I'm sure there are a heck of a lot more Godin basses out there than people probably think. They are probably sitting right there in front of people, but they don't think to play them because they aren't a familiar brand. I've watched countless people walk into Long&McQuade and head straight for the "great wall of Fender" without even glancing at anything else.

Anyway, if you want to check one out, check their website for your local dealer. I'm not saying that the SD in particular is the best bass you can get, but IMO it's miles ahead of the MIM Fender and certainly in the same league as the MIA. It's definitely worth checking out rather than just assuming the Fender is the only choice.

I wouldn't be saying this if I did keep buying Godin products and being absoulutely knocked out by their performance. :) Let's put it this way - I've never been inclined for even a second to ever sell any of my 5 Godin's while I've dumped something from every other brand I've owned (except G&L!). My next move will be to sell my Gibson Les Paul in favour of the top of the line Godin electric guitar - the LGX.

5. Hey Rob I own a Godin SD and I agree with you it is a great Bass. I have owned a Fender P bass (USA Made), a Peavey Millemmium, and an Ibanez SRX 300
    And hands down this is the best Bass. Not quite the pop of the Ibanez but still you know you are playing an active Bass and great workmanship. I love Godin Guitars!

6. 10 year old thread revived!

7. Rich Terry

Rich Terry BassOmatic

Sep 14, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Being new to B/T but having been a bass player for 50 years I have played a lot of great and not so great basses. I purchased a used Godin SD 4 and after a good set up it plays great. I have always been a fan of the Seagull guitars, own 3, I thought I'd try the Godin SD instead of a P Bass. I own a MIM Jazz that has worked well, My American Std Jazz which is my go to bass and a 1971 Ampeg Dan Armstrong, for looks. I have never really liked to P bass neck or single pup set up. So the Godin SD has the best of both worlds. Dual pups, a neck between a jazz and P bass, active electronics and a quality build at a great price. Feels like a well made US bass and not one of the offshore things that who knows makes.

Came in a very nice light case and sounds great. 325.00 in the door. Feel like I stole it. If you can find one pick it up. Nice sold build and sound, Now I have the P bass sound without the price to complement my Jazz basses at a great price.

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

but a Fender Jazz is a Fender Jazz, how many classic songs were recorded using a Godin?

Fender Jazz IS music history

That's the heart talking, the brain says a Godin with PJ pups MUST be better

but still.....a Jazz is a Jazz........

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  9. Rich Terry

Rich Terry BassOmatic

Sep 14, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas

Man I get it because I own 2 Jazz Basses. One MIM for jam night and my American Standard for recording. The Godin SD was a good way to get the P bass sound without the American P Bass price and made in the USA not China.