Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Fender Jazz vs. Squier Standard Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Dec 20, 2005.

1. The MIM Fender Jazz is almost double the cost of the Squier, but is this reflected in the quality difference between the two instruments? For those of us who are cash-deficient, is the extra $170 (ballpark) REALLY worth saving up for? I know that everyone would like to see "Fender" on the headstock rather than "Squier", but OBJECTIVELY speaking...which is the better value??

Here's another angle: if you bought the Squier and took the money you saved and put it into parts...new pickups, bridge, etc., would you not have a superior bass to the Fender? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!!

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If you have a chance to play both, let your hands and ears decide for you. Quality on either can be spotty, but more so on the Squiers, ime.

If it was me, I'd look for a used MIM J rather than new. You could probably find a nice one in the TB classifieds.

Another option would be the SX Basses from Rondo music.

http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitars4.html

3. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Just buy the Fender. The price of the squier plus the money you would spend upgrading it into something decent will about equal the price of a standard anyway.

4. WesC

WesC

Nov 18, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Mostly I agree, you want to play all of the basses you're considereing and base your choice on that. don't just make an arbitrary decision based on a label. you could miss out on a really good deal that way.

For example, I was shopping for a new J bass a month ago. After playing everything from Americans, Deluxes, MiMs, a few Artists, to even a custom 60s reissue... the bass I ended up with was a FSR MiM ash. I was really surprised, but for the money it had the best neck, best tone, and a really great setup of any bass in the shop. If they hadn't told me it was made in Mexico I would never have guessed. I thought for sure it was MiA. The best part was I only spent $400!

But there is a quality level I won't step below and the Squire is it.

Now, some people have said that they've found some good Squires... but you have to let your budget decide that. I was looking for the best jazz bass that they had--for me, not the most expensive. Even so, I didn't try the Squires, I dunno, they feel too cheap for me, and i've never played a good one. The MiMs are different though. From all that I've heard the MiM basses have all MiA parts and are only assembled and set up in Mexico. I also have a 92 MiM and there is definitely a big quality difference since then. So for the money, if you can play a bunch, you could find one that rivals an MiA bass.

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    'Just buy the Fender. The price of the squier plus the money you would spend upgrading it into something decent will about equal the price of a standard anyway.'

+ 1

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I can vouch for SX.

Acoustically, I think it sounded a lot better than a MIA Fender I picked up the other day...even acoustically it just sounded...sterile I guess. Cold and no warmth at all...

7. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    And I'll vouch for Fender. ;) My MIM Deluxe Jazz is an absolutely awesome bass after a bridge installation (Badass II) and a nice setup, though I would recommend playing any bass before you buy it.

8. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    you referring to the SX or fender

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    'Supposedly, the SX basses put most Fenders to shame.'

I respectfully disagree.....

10. Akirabanana

Akirabanana

Dec 12, 2005
    Kingston, On
    If money is that tight i would think that spending the money on another brand's 'jazz' styled basses might be better. Of course if you have your heart set on a fender jazz there is nothing wrong with that. Also keep in mind that squires have a lot less resale value.

11. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

My first bass was $50 at the JC Penny outlet store.

What cost $50 in 1968 would cost $276.65 in 2005

My used MIM Jazz with a decent enough almost new case was $254.50 inclusing shipping from ebay. I simply was looking for something diffferent than my Guild.

1. Set your budget and stick to it.
    2. If at all possible try before you buy.
    3. Seriousely consider other brands
    4. Don't worry about resale at this investment level
    5. Have fun, make an adventure out of it.
    6. Never apologize for the value of your instrument or how much you can spend.
    7. New strings almost always work wonders.
    8. I never had an audiance member tell me I got a great deal on my bass. I have had them tell me they love me, hate me, love my sound, hate my sound, I am too loud, not loud enough, their brother/sister/uncle/whoever plays better than I do, I have a great feel etc. So the point is, I guess buy what you like (feel, sound, looks) and practice, play and be happy.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

12. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Get the MIM. It is that much better and more dependable.

If $ is really an issue get a used MIM. they can often be had for 2-3 hundred bucks.

If you can't find a good used one buy an SX.

The SX's can be near as good as an MIM, but are almost always better than squier (with more color/frettboard/chrome options) for a much lower price. There is no reason to buy a new squire when an SX gives you more for less.

Dont' buy a squier unless it's one of the japanese ones.

13. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    My signature holds the key.......