Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Fender Jazz, what's the story?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleestak, Mar 18, 2004.

1. I went to Sam Ash today (Since GC was closed for a Rock of Fame induction of Randy Rhodes) to try out a Bass Pod XT - which I really liked.

The thing that impressed me more was the MIM Jazz Bass for $449 that was the effects "tester" bass. It had a rosewood neck, and the thing played just awesome, I couldn't believe it.

What is the story with these basses? It sure played a helluva lot better than the price tag would lead me to believe. And for a brand new bass? It had great tonal range, not one dead spot on the neck, no buzzing, I loved it.

I'm wondering if I got a hold of some misfit bass or are the MIM basses pretty good?. I really haven't given MIM basses the time of day up until today, but if this bass was any indication, these are sure a bargain.

Loved the Bass Pod XT, came very close to grabbing one today but had to run out and pick up my wife!

George

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm no expert on Fenders but MIM Fenders are real Fenders but made in Mexico with slightly lesser specs like a neck that is unreinforced with graphite like the MIA Fenders. Frankly, I think that many MIM Fenders sound wonderful. I may pick one up myself in a few months. The catch is that you need to go to the store and check them out. Some are great, some are not.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i think dr cheese (love the name :D ) is right. the MIM's are manufactured in mexico and are not at the same standard for perfection of the details that the MIAs are.

from my past experiences, it seems that these fenders are hit or miss. i've played MIAs i did not like at all and MIM's that are even worse. right now my main bass (due to lack of funds for a higher end one) is a MIM jazz fretless. i love it and i think the tone is killer.

so i think with this fender you played may have been one of the good ones out there. but i think $449 is a bit expensive. i got mine from GC for 300 and a hardshell case! and TB has got a lot of threads about mods and such that can take a good MIM and make it a great bass.

-jimbo

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Somebody posted a link to a great site that offers a factory tour of the Mexican Fender factory. The site shows the step by step process for construction and assembly. If I'm not mistaken, the link exists or existed on the main Fender website.

Anyhow, the site says that the MIM necks are made in California and all else is made and assembled in Mexico.

MIM are fine. I find the consistancy isn't as good as MIJ products. YMMV

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That sure is a bargain if it's got a rosewood neck, no other fender in the world can boast that! :p Fenders are generally pretty hit-and-miss, the MIM's especially, but this sounds like it hit the bullseye. Pick it up, but don't expect many others to live up to it.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What I have noticed is people expect MIM basses and all other Fenders for that matter to be perfect when they reach for them in these big stores, these basses are for the most part demo's! Iv'e noticed all basses suffer from high action poor setup and a host of other malady's. This is due mostly in part to abuse, humidity changes and overall excessive handling by those who have no interest in buying a bass. I have played many basses that had gone thru this and have bought many basses because I liked the sound of the bass. I have never got a new out the box or case Fender that had a problem, all had perfect setups, lively strings, and were securely packed. I have bought seven new Fender basses this way. Oh and by the way, I a own a MIM dlx jazz and a standard P bought new!

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have an MIM Jazz, and it is a very nice playing and sounding bass. As others have said, their QC isn't always great, so there are some real dogs out there, but the good ones are pretty good.

8. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I do agree with the general opinion.
    I own a Deluxe Jazz which is IMO 1000x better than the standard. But I have to agree that the finish of the MIM is not good. If you find a good finished MIM, it's a killer bass!

pics :D

[​IMG]