1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM FENDER, OPINIONS PLEASE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattmanbass, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Would you consider a fender MIM jazz bass to be about the best bass you could get for $200? let me know what you guys think, im thinking of getting one and im gonna be gigging with it alot.

2. absolutly not!! I got my MIM Fender Jazz V for $199. Of course its been modified with bartolini pick-ups, Bad Ass bridge and soon an Audere preamp.

3. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    From what I hear, yes, great used deals.

4. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have two MIM Jazz's (fretless and fretted). I'll soon be selling off at least one of them. They work fantastic. No need to worry since it is only a few hundred dollars for a bass that has a great sound and feel.

5. thanks for the replys guys, i played a mim jazz once and it played and sounded fine, i just dont like to buy "crap" instruments and 200 is usually the "crap" range, but i think the used mim might be the exception, now i just need to decide on a p or a j :meh:

6. The cool part about it you can mod these pretty cheaply to get "your" sound and I have had mine for about 8 years as my main bass and nothing has fallen off or gone loose.

Great bass.

7. MIM Jazzes are only $200 out there :S

Paid $550 CAD out here in BC.

It was my first bass and loved it, then got bored of it and bought a new one (Ibanez sdgr), lent out the jazz to a friend... got it back a year later and liked it more than the Ibanez. . . .Then I got a Rickenbacker and rarely play either haha. In short, it is a great bass.

8. anonymous_111514

anonymous_111514 Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    love mine! got one off ebay last summer and slapped a badass bridge on it and never looked back

9. Bighead Kid

Bighead Kid

Jun 2, 2007
    My schools bass is a 90's MIM Jazz. The action is almost an inch, The pickups are bent (yes, bent) The strings are the originals. This is the bass I learned on. It sounds more like an upright. Needless to say it wasn't taken care of but I still don't have a friendly disposition towards MIM's.

Edit: And most of the pickups rattle.

10. what does a badass bridge got that a regular bridge dont? is there a huge difference or what? i would like to know as ive never used one b4

11. also if anyone has mim p bass they want to get rid of let me know

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

well not really ... there is always the PJ. If you look hard you can find one of the below under $300 in a case. It is a mid-90's MIM Precision Special aka Cowpoke. These are active basses and sound great with the controls being volume/blend, bass/treble. The one below is my 'mod' bass. I yanked the pickups and pre. Installed an Audere - that's when the two switches were added. The pickups in mine are a Lawrence P-46 and a MIJ 62 RI J (seller told me it was a MIA but it turns out not to be, oh well - sounds nice anyway... I addedthe groun plate & strap from the bridge pup to under the bridge. As the whole bass is star grounded and shielded - it flat out doesn't do anytihing useful but it does provoke a *** ? look from the occaisional bass player when I play it in the bars ...

Currently it's wired as a 652 RI stack know with Vol/Tone for each pickup - no pre. The switches aren't engaged yet as I'm not 100% on what they'll be when I'm done. I'm leaning towards a dark switch for the split pickup on the front switch and both pickups straight to the jack - but through a resistor and cap to bleed a little high end on the way out.

The neck is very J like. Super fast. As I like my necks to have a kind of vintage 'played' feel, the neck edges were rolled and the fret ends dressed to match. $75 really well spent IMO.

These are really sweet and not that hard to find. THe body size is about a 7/8hth's P Bass so it's pretty light. This one weighs abotut 7.5 lbs. 22 fret neck. I've seen them in Trans White as below, Black and Red. I've been thinking seriously about a refin to Surf Green, matching headstock. That would go a ways in my surf band.

Mt Hood in the background.
    [​IMG]

13. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    $200 is a good price for a Mim Jazz or P, $250-$300 seems to be more the going rate.
    I had one of those cowpokes, it was cool, let's see if I can find a pic... The '80s made in Japan P/J's are about the coolest for low $$ in my opinion.
    My old mim P special (with my Robin Ranger of similar style):
    cowpokes.

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'd look around on evil-bay, craigslist, and TB for a MIM Fender 60s Jazz Classic. Used ought to be around $325 US. IMHO, these are generally amongst the best MIM Fender Jazzes. :ninja:

15. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    I love mine!

16. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Sounds like Jamerson's bass...

that upright tone is what a lot of people look for in a bass!

17. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Love mine...had a great setup done, put on Roto Swing 66's (.40-.95), had a custom nut made for those strings, put a BA II bridge on it, and the bass plays and sounds just awesome. :bassist:

18. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I would say no. I had a MIM jazz that was my main bass for several years, but it just doesn't hold up over time. My neck warped after about two years, and I take very good care of all my basses. I would recommend a used MIJ Fender. I have two Jazz Bass Specials (P/J configuration) from the 1980's, bought for the mid $200 range, and they are the best sounding, best playing Fender basses I have owned- better than the MIA Fenders I've owned, IMHO.

19. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Torrance, California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    Depends. Sit down and try them out. Go to different stores, try them all out. I did. I found a really good cheapie - I was amazed at the quality, playability, etc. For a really cheap bass, if you choose the right one, you can get a gem. I should clarify that I do not have it anymore - my nephew does though.

20. ok guys i got lucky and found a trade for pretty much excactly what i was looking for, right down to the gold pickguard let me know what you think. the pic is crappy i know but ill get better ones soon, its a fender precision special deluxe edition, passive pj combo, if anyone knows anything else about this bass let me know, ie what year ect.

thanks for all your input guys

DSC02019.

Attached Files: