Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Fender P-Bass 125$ but purple?!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., Jul 13, 2002.

1. hey all

yes, i could take a BRAND NEW p-bass of a friends step dads friend.. for 125 bucks

standard made in mexico p-bass

for 125 dollars it seems like the best deal in the world ( though i wish it were a jazz)..

but the thing is purple... ahhh, what a horrible color! with while pick guard

what kind of mods could i have fun with with this bass? not only for sound, but for kick ass look.

and can any of you guys post pictures of Purple P-bass pictures???

edit:what do you guys think would be better? getting an Essex BG-150 Jazz Bass, or a MIM P-bass

2. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    If its solid purple it can't be that bad, who knows, maybe its dark enough to be a black substitute.

I think sparkle purple would look nice.

Buy it even if its purple. Not like color effects tone. Not only that, but it shows you're not afraid to be called gay. (Unless you are.)

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    get ir respayed ancolor u want....

or like this...

bp13

4. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Aren't paint jobs a TAD too expensive?

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Punk it up with stickers if you're really unhappy with the colour. You're getting such a good deal who cares about the resale value. As far as tone-improving mods maybe a set of Duncans or Barts in the pickup dept.

6. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    well....if u want it like the pic yea...

but i dun think a solid color would be to bad on the wallet... i think its a couple hundred....which would be still be a good deal considering u bought the bass for $125...plus....maybe ask around....maybe sumone knows sumone that paints them...

just a possibility...

bp13

7. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    DIY???

bp13

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
  9. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    oh.....but don't u need special gear???

bp13

10. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    ooooo...n/m....i guess that is what that site is for

i feel stupid...

bp13

11. Purple or violet?

If it is a full on purple I must admit it would not be my first choice of colors but....the price makes it worth it.

My P is actually a violet color(almost a wine color)
    and I was worried when I first bought it(online).
    Swapped out the plain white picguard for a pearloid white one and now she looks puuuurr-tee! :)

You can always do the sticker thang as suggested
    if you can`t live with the color.

12. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    go for it!

thats a great deal.. if the color bothers you that much, there are ways to change it.. oh.. theres a way.. ;)

:rolleyes:

13. yeh, thanks guys.. i think i am gonna buy it...

since its such a great price, and im also saving for a main axe, a lakland or a MIM jazz or something of that nature, im tottally into moding it.

i rember looking up on AllodoX's " mr p " project, pretty cool... how much would something like that cost? and how would it effect the sound?

what are some other mods i could pull together... all ideas welcome, thanks guys

14. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    -Pickups (see my previous post)
    -Go to a badass (or other high-mass) bridge
    -Get a funky pickguard (pearl, or even checkerboard)
    -Go to fancy tuners (hipshot makes a unit that drops your E to a D at the flip of a lever)

Those are popular upgrades at least... Everyone's got opinions on the merits of each of them...

15. what kind of bridge would you guys recommend, like would you tell me name of a bridge, the price, and what kind of sound it puts out...

16. why don't you familiarize yourself with the bass for a bit, find out what you like and dislike about it, and report back here? if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

17. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

best advice i heard all day...but seeing as how the day is only about 1hr 20 min old...this is the only advice i heard all day...

bp13

18. true... but bassicly, i want to mod it, considering i've been using my squier p-bass for about 5 years now.... so they cant be that all diffrent, except you know, better quality... my squier has litterlly fallen apart.

19. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    it's officailly called midnight wine (fancy huh?)
    hey, 125 sell on eaby for 300, or to me for 150, either way you can't go wrong you'll either make money or add a new bass to your arsenal, win iwn situation man