Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MiM Fender P. Bass as first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nosedivekarma, Jul 25, 2005.

1. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    I've posted here before but my thread seems to have become lost among the others.

I'm looking to spend up to £500 on my first bass and have, rather obviously, been looking at a MiM Fender P. Bass. I'm looking to play a rather stripped down basic style of Sabbathy heavy rock and need something that's built well, has a suitably heavy tone and will be something I can grow into rather than out of because I don't plan on getting a new bass in a long LONG time.

Any advice? I'm desperate here.

2. joeyhimself

joeyhimself

Jul 17, 2005
    If you're dead set on a P-bass, give Essex a try. Word on the Talkbass is that they are way better than MiM Fenders (Way cheaper too).

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I think that's a pretty solid choice. I'm a bit more partial to Jazz basses given the 2 pickups (more tonal variety) and its more user-friendly neck. However, that's a matter of personal taste. There are plenty of Asian imported basses in the same price range that could give the MIM Fenders a run for the money. However, the feel and tone of a Fender bass is universal. Even though it’s Mexican, there is a fair degree of resale value. And it’s a worthy enough bass to upgrade down the road if you choose to (pickups, hardware, preamp, etc.).

Just be mindful that the MIMs are known to be inconsistent. You'll pick up one that’s brilliant then try out another one that’s exactly identical to the 1st and it may be complete crap.

Good luck,

r

4. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    I've heard this about MiM Fenders. What are the most common iconsistencies and are most of them able to be sorted out by a decent professional set up?

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    it was the first bass i bought, and after years and years of playing bass, it is still my back up.

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    You know, I think the bulk of the inconsistency woes I hear about the MIM Fenders are really just setup issues. Then again, I've heard of the occational bum neck too.

r

7. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    A MIM Precision was my first bass also. Good Basic first bass, easily upgradable if you get the modding bug, and a couple years back they even upgraded the stock pickups. I still have my MIM P-bass and even though I have many other basses, now that it has chrome covers and a quarterpounder on it, it still gets alot of play.

8. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    How easy are things like 'bum necks' to spot in a shop? I know this is sounds a silly question but i'm new to this.

9. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I reckon if you look down the neck from the headstock and spot any humps in the fingerboard--RUNAWAY, RUNAWAY! However, I've had two American Standard Strats (one a Deluxe model at that!) back in the late 80s/early 90s that had bad necks. The play of the guitar in the shop was adequate but likely a nice setup would turn them into rock-n-roll machines, no? It was after several setups that I found out the necks had issues with trustrods that wouldn't cooperate. I really had no way of knowing about this when I first checked them out.

Okay, this was a long time ago when Fender had some quality control issues. These were also guitars. These were US Standards of yore, not MIM of the here and now. Also if this MIM P you like had some neck issues, I'm sure you could return it if you don't wait forever to do so (like I did with my Strats way back when--duh!).

Honestly, if you like this P bass, then I say go for it. It’s about as basic as you can get. It’s upgradeable. Its resalable. It won't break the bank, either. Otherwise you'll have to get out there and do yr taste tasting. Ibanez, Schecter, G&L Tributes, on and on, have basses in the same price range. You can go nuts trying to decide looking online. I'm sure you'll get some solid suggestions on this forum but in the end, its yr call. What I like you might hate. Get out there hit every guitar shop you can. Hell, have fun while yr at it. If that MIM P is for you, it will tell you.

r

10. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Stick around TB for awhile. We'll cure you of this.

11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    that MIM P bass is the first bass i ever had. once you start to get better, and you are listening to different types of players etc, you will want to get a certain type of sound

your ear will develope to you what you will recognize as " good tone" then just go for it

always experiment while at the guitar shop though

12. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    What i'm really worried about here is inconsistency problems. I don't have the knowledge to confidently check that I'm not getting a dud. Are there any manufacturers that have a better rep than Fender regarding quality control who have models that would suit both the type of music I want to make and my budget?

13. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Hey,
    Sorry this is off topic, but what does MIM stand for and whats the deal with MIM basses?

14. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    MIM = Made In Mexico

15. debaser

debaser

Jun 11, 2005
    Montreal
    Hi,

I'm in the same position, looking to get my first bass. I have noticed the inconsistencies with the standard MIM Fender P's - the first one I tried felt great; another had a neck that seemed to have no finish (my hand felt like it had to work to move), visible glue at the back of the neck and uneven spaces where the neck connects to the body.

On the other hand, every deluxe series MIM that I've tried has felt great. It could be that the deluxe series gets more attention and labour-hours than the standard series. I'm not sure how the pricing is in the UK, but a MIM Deluxe P-Bass Special might be in your budget.

Other brands that I've liked in my search are Godin (not sure if they're available in the UK, but they are very well made) and Lakland Skyline.

Let us know how this all works out!

16. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My first bass was a Fender MIM precision. I still play it lots. I can still get "my" sound out of it, too. My playing has changed a lot over time, but I can still rely on that P bass. If you find a good one, jump on it.

17. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I bought a MIM Fender P-bass as my 5th bass... I dont have 5 basses but over the course of my playing, have gone thorugh 4 others... Ibanez SR800, Ibanez BTB405, Ibanez Acoustic, and Warwick 5 string Thumb Bolt On.
    Once I got it, it had dead pickups so i needed new ones. I got Bassline Quarterpounders and they are awesome on the P bass. I also got a Leo Quan badadss 2 bridge on it and a graphTECH nut. I had to really fine tune the bass to get it the way I wanted, but now it is so fast and responsive. No complaints. If mine got stolen, i would get another asap! (and do the same stuff to it as listed above. hehe)

I am not too big into the wood of the bass, as much as I am into their electronics. YES wood does make a difference, but how much so? I have heard the difference in acoustic properties without an amp but I think the better the electronics, the better the bass will sound amplified (obviously) and the wood will not make AS MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE.
    Take a SQUIRE with Bartolini and a WARWICK with Bartolinis and they will sound VERY NICE! I am not saying that they will sound the same, but they will both sound awesome! Now take a Squire with Bartolinis and a Warwick with passive no name, budget pickups and you will want the one with the Barts.
    <p>
    So even if you get a Squire, change the pickups and maybe get a heavier bridge to help the bass sustain better.

18. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I played a MIM Jazz deluxe last week with noiseless pups and it was great - about £535 with gig bag. I'd recommend this as it is lot more flexible than a p bass. It isnt just a first bass either because the quality/sound of it was high enough to satisfy even a semi pro player.

19. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I agree, the MIM Deluxes are pretty good. But how much is this guy willing to spend?

r

20. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Those MIMs are just great values. They sound great and most play very nice (some are flat out awesome players).

Most inconsistencies between instruments can certainly be attributed to setup, they are soooo easy to dial in though.

I'd play one.