1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM Fender P-bass deluxe special question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coward Of Reali, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Hey I just bought this bass and from what I've read its a good bass with some average pickups. This is my first REAL bass (I previously had a $90 Kramer bass) so I want to upgrade it and make it something special. So what kind of Pickups do you reccomend I replace the stock ones with?

2. You may want to play it for a while with the stock pickups and figure out what you want/need from your pickups before you replace them. Tone and pickup selection is such a subjective, voodoo category that it is better if you know what tone you want. We can't make a smart recommendation without knowing what you want.

3. Excellent points!

Once you have decided if you are going to replace the pups, I would suggest the duncan replacement pups.

I've done this to my Jazz bass special and it really has a great semi altered tone!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB

I also agree. I played mine for quite a while and decided that I liked the stock pickups. Simply changing the strings to TI Jazz Flats was all the modification I needed.

Enjoy the bass!

Dan :bassist:

5. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I think I'm going to replace the p pickups with SY 1/4's like what Steve Harris apparently uses. I really like his tone.