Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Fender P-bass deluxe special question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coward Of Reali, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Hey I just bought this bass and from what I've read its a good bass with some average pickups. This is my first REAL bass (I previously had a $90 Kramer bass) so I want to upgrade it and make it something special. So what kind of Pickups do you reccomend I replace the stock ones with?

2. You may want to play it for a while with the stock pickups and figure out what you want/need from your pickups before you replace them. Tone and pickup selection is such a subjective, voodoo category that it is better if you know what tone you want. We can't make a smart recommendation without knowing what you want.

3. Excellent points!

Once you have decided if you are going to replace the pups, I would suggest the duncan replacement pups.

I've done this to my Jazz bass special and it really has a great semi altered tone!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB

I also agree. I played mine for quite a while and decided that I liked the stock pickups. Simply changing the strings to TI Jazz Flats was all the modification I needed.

Enjoy the bass!

Dan :bassist:

5. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I think I'm going to replace the p pickups with SY 1/4's like what Steve Harris apparently uses. I really like his tone.