1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM Fender P-Bass - how to ID its real

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by progrmr, Sep 18, 2008.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Found a guy that's selling a MIM fender p-bass (not a squire, I checked with the seller) and 300W amp for $400.

I'm always looking for the cadillac at the pinto price...so it sounds like a good deal and I'm ready to take a look at it. The real deal in this package is the P-bass. Is there anything I can look at that will help me know its real? Serial number on the headstock right? Should the number be in any particular format?

What about head shape, logo etc?

2. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Who fakes Mexican Fenders? I would think if you were going to take the time to fake a Fender, it wouldn't be an MIM.

Considering a used MIM P bass should go for around $200-$250 what's the issue here.

The serial number will start with an MZ if it's from this centrury or M9 if it's from the last, and it will be clearly marked that it's made in Mexico on the headstock.

3. I doubt anybody would go to the trouble of counterfeiting a MIM Fender, especially if he was planning to sell it along with a 300W amp all for $400.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    +1... it's a pretty safe buy.

5. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    oh, I thought the MIM p-basses were pretty good quality..?? haha! Not even worth faking huh? Maybe this isn't quite the great deal I thought it was :)

6. its more like a pinto at a pinto price..

7. There's nothing wrong with MIM Fenders, it is just that doing a decent counterfeiting job is a lot of trouble and work. If you counterfeit something, you counterfeit something valuable/expensive. People who counterfeit money don't counterfeit $1 bills.

8. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Good to know that at least a fake bass isn't an issue.

As I am researching the MIM p-basses, I'm finding people that paid $500+ for a standard MIM p-bass...something ain't right, especially if the used P-bass price is $200 - $250.

I might have to pass on this deal. Its a fender BXR300C amp and that would be more than enough for me for a long time to come - but maybe that price ($400) is something I should negotiate down.

9. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Basically I would stop researching price and buy it. Honestly if it's fake, it's probably going to have cost the person more to make one then it's worth.

10. The street price for a new MIM p-bass is $450.. Although you can get a pretty standard 10% discount by ordering through one of the talkbass partners or watching the weekend sales.

In case you don't know, MIM means Made In Mexico. There are deluxe versions with active electronics, reissues, and various other special edition type models that may cost more than $450.. but if you are talking about a run of the mill, standard p-bass that is made in mexico.. they are $450.

I think someone should be able to fetch $250 or $275 each for that bass and the amp, assuming they are in excellent condition.

So, I would say the absolute maximum the guy could expect to get for the bass and amp is $550. At $400, assuming everything is in good, readily playable condition, you are getting a reasonable deal, but not a steal.

11. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    yea, I think I'm gonna go for it. I've got a Dean now (only been playin' for about a month) but since I've been reading I'm looking forward to playing the P. Plus that amp would be great and I think its a good enough deal to justify the purchase.

thanks for all the help!

12. IMO, it will be an upgrade from your Dean and will serve you will for a long time to come.. It should be a nice bass, I just wouldn't quite call it a "cadillac at a pinto price" as you put it..

13. The only thing I'd look out for is the brief run of made in Mexico Squier series basses. They say Fender and Made in Mexico on the headstock, but they also have a little Squier Series logo at the very end of the headstock. You can spot the Jazz's because they usually have a plastic pickguard that extends and takes place of the metal control plate. Not sure if the P's differ visually other than the headstock labeling.

14. i believe the 90's MIM SN's began "MN". the next number is whichever year in the 90's it was built. Say, a '94 MIM would begin "MN4". no shot intended, just tryin to prevent confusion :)

15. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
  16. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'll post up the pics if I buy it tonight. Going down to see it (about 45-minute drive from columbus)

Early pics look good but are blurry.

17. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Yup, that's correct. Caught me asleep at the switch there.

Sorry. Yup MN for the ninety's MIM's .

Ooops.

18. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    DARN! Well, I don't know what I just spent 2 hours going to/from looking at, but I don't think it was a P-Bass!

It had a p-bass neck, but the body was all beat up. I couldn't tell if it was a fender body but the guy said it was an older mexican body. He said that he wired all american pickups/pots in the guitar. It played but it wasn't adjusted very well and the action was too high for my taste.

Anyway it seemed like it was a guitar cobbled together with a fender precision neck on it.

Oh well...i've got a guy coming over now with his P-Bass, less than a year old in new condition. Wants $300 but I really want one and if its in good shape I'm gonna buy it.

The saga continues :)

19. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    He shoots he scores! :) Gonna have to post up in the P-Bass club now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Hey! 2002... same year as mine... well done.
    How does it play?