1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM Fender P Bass set up issues

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Caleb Mills, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Hey bass-keteers (that's supposed to be a mix between bassists and musketeers... anyway...) I have this 2005 Fender MIM P Bass that I absolutely love, but it hasn't been properly cared for over the years, and the set up was WAY off. I did my own set up following those John Carruthers videos on YouTube. That in it's self helped a tremendous amount, but I'm still having some issues with it beyond the 12th fret. I've even scoured the TB forums for advice and help on set ups, but haven't been able to find one regarding this exactly.

It used to have a Badass III bridge on it, but I recently sold that and replaced it with a stock Fender bridge. I have all the measurements exactly to what Fender spec is supposed to be for the truss rod/neck relief, the string height, the nut height, and the intonation. I have it strung with the standard .45-1.05 strings.

So the issue is that basically any note beyond the 13th or 14th fret is dead. There's tons of fret buzz and the notes sound like I'm palm muting them. Any ideas on what the issue could be? I know that I could take it to a tech, and I'm sure a lot of people will say "just spend $50-$75 and have it set up correctly," but I'd really rather take care of this one on my own. Thanks for pitching in!

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If everything is setup right and it is a dud at the end of the neck my money is on a ski ramp. If this is the case, you might get lucky and be able to shave the end frets to make it playable. There is a pro thread discussion on the subject, I would start there.

Caleb Mills likes this.
  3. Cool man. Although I have no idea what a "ski ramp" is other than an actual ski ramp...

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

lancimouspitt likes this.