1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM Fender P-Bass Special Questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowendrasta56, Mar 24, 2013.

1. I just ordered a MIM Deluxe P-Bass Special, mostly because I missed the growl of a precision and I love the Mexican actives Fender puts out.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Fender puts a little extra care into these basses due to their different electronics (whoa! almost said "upgraded electronics" but I got too much love for you passive boys:D)

- I have a 2011 MIM Deluxe Active Jazz. I love the Noiseless pickups and I never thought much to upgrade them...

- However with this new bass I really fought myself on not picking up a bass with a single humbucker due to past issues with my EBMM basses not being versatile enough.

- I'm looking for tonal versatility. What, if any, are my best options to replace the J pickup on my new active P-Bass with a stacked humbucker? I've heard the stacked humbucker blends much better with the P pickup than the Noiseless J pickup, is this true?

- Are there any replacement active Precision pickups that bring more of a vintage sound with them?

I'm thinking if I make the right pickup selection and add a Hipshot bridge, I could give a lot of MIA Active P-Basses a run for their money. Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Thanks in advance:bassist:

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you have a stacked J pickup in the Noiseless J; a dimarzio area or ultra J would be a louder, more authentic choice that still hum-canceled.

also, the vintage threaded-rod bridge rocks, it's one of the best things about that bass; real steel saddles for clear tone, and you can get the string spacing just right between the pickup magnets.

you don't need an "active" P pickup, the EQ preamp makes the whole bass active. it has a decent vintage-style P pickup already.

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with Walter - I have an '06 MIM Deluxe P Bass Special, FWIW... IMO, the stock pups work really well with the preamp, and offer plenty of tonal versatility besides sounding great... Regarding the bridge - I changed mine out for a BAII, only to find that the BAII made it brighter, with less midrange character - I changed it back to the original "vintage style" threaded saddle bridge, and it's going to stay that way...

I suggest you try it out thoroughly before deciding to change anything - and maybe with a few different string sets... Mine is currently wearing D'Addario EXL160s, and they're working out quite nicely...

IMAG0447.

4. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    The MIM Deluxe P Special is on my short list of future purchases. I think they sound terrific stock and plenty of versatility. Definitely enjoy it for a while before investing in any upgrades. I just wish they had better colors to choose from.

5. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    I run my P Bass Special bone stock. I really enjoy the tone from the factory.