Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Fender P with Maple Fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Jul 1, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Which model MIM Fender P's came with maple fretboards?

I'm about to drop a couple hundred on a Marcus Miller Jazz with a P-bass neck, seller claims it's MIM. I prefer a P-bass neck to a jazz neck and love the tone and feel of a Marcus Miller Jazz, and for this price you can't beat the combo I love.

What bass did the neck come from? It's a maple fretboard, black dots, and seller says its MIM.

2. Hm, as far as I know the only MIM necks to come with maple fretboards are the Deluxe Ps. The neck might have been part of a special run, similar to the one they ran for ash bodied natural MIMs at Guitar Center a while back.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Deluxe P-bass "special" is available with a maple neck.
    The P-bass special neck is a jazz neck btw.

4. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Yeah, the only MIM maple/maple neck I know of is the Precision Special Deluxe as noted above. It's 1.5 at the nut, but maybe the seller is confused because it says Precision on the headstock. Or, maybe you get lucky and get a nice glossy MIJ precision neck. Or, maybe it's a Mighty Mite. Did you get a picture?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I got a picture, though it's a bit hard to make out. Looks like a replacement neck to me, but I can see a faint line that could possibly say Made in Japan on the neck heel. Either way, it says Precision Bass and looks to be 1-5/8" at the nut. I'm buyin' it.

Also looking at the tuners it appears to be MIJ/CIJ.

6. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    You're seeing pretty much what I'm seeing. Looks nice. For the price I think I saw, I think that's a nice buy. Cool bass.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    toad, to me, whether or not that's the neck I think it is, it's a good deal. I have an extra P-neck available to me for a great price. And frankly, I loved everything about the MM basses but the neck, I prefer a P-neck, so for a good price due to lack of originality, this is a steal to me.

8. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Hey, I'm in agreement; I was just trying to help sort out the possibilities, but nothing less than enthusiastic. Like I said, cool bass! Pull the trigger and :bassist:

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow, a white MM bass. You don't see too many of those.

As for the neck, the only thing that I can see is that it's a three-bolt, or a neck that has been converted to a three-bolt. Did the P Deluxes come with three-bolt necks?

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just got a phone call, he hadn't touched the bass in a while but it's CIJ!

It's a beauty, and it's a CIJ P-bass neck on it. It's on it's way to me. More pics and stuff when she gets here!

11. beibea

beibea

Jun 27, 2005
    Dawson Springs, KY
    Nice! Can't wait to see more pics. :) Enjoy. :bassist: