1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM Fender Precision Stock Pickup Opinions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tub Bass Scott, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Tub Bass Scott

Tub Bass Scott

Aug 28, 2010
    Greetings TB members!

I am quite new around here. I'm a high school band director, who knows enough to know when I'm in over my head with tech questions. Thank you for your patience with me. I played a lot of bass (upright) in high school, and I'm trying to get back into it. My primary instruments are saxophone and guitar.

I just bought a new Fender MIM P bass to use in my demo studio, and I'm curious about your opinions on the stock split-coil.

My desired tone would be in the area of Carol Kaye/Brian Wilson early to mid-60's sound. Do you guys think that an after-market vintage style pickup would help me in my quest (ex. Seymour Duncan, Fender...)?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks again for your time.

Scott

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    start with small adjustments.
    i found that using flatwounds with a stock pickup made a huge difference in my tone.
    as far as upgrading pickups, lindy fralins, delanos, aguilar, fender originals, there are lots of old school sounding options.

3. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    Well, I installed those on a P bass copy I have. They sound good to me!
    Clean highs, heavy lows, better than the crappy stock pickups!

4. Tub Bass Scott

Tub Bass Scott

Aug 28, 2010
    Thanks for the responses guys. I do plan on putting some flats on when I have the bass set up.

I'm just trying to do my homework.

Thanks again.

Scott

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the pickup is really the one weak link on that bass.

what you want for those classic tones is a vintage-style pickup; you don't even have to go boutique, the Duncan version or the fender "original" P pickup would do nicely, for under $75.

6. If you want dead sounding flats straight out of the box then Fender 9050 flatwounds may just be the ticket. D'Addario Chromes and TI Jazz Flats are my favorite flats but they have a brighter more lively tone for flatwound strings whereas the Fender 9050s I put on one of p basses was perfect for that Jamerson thud.

7. Tub Bass Scott

Tub Bass Scott

Aug 28, 2010
    Thanks for the additional help Diogenes and Walterw. I have a set of Fender 9050 flatwounds that I had planned on using with this bass. I think I'm leaning toward the Duncan vintage pick up.

Again, thank to all for your help.

Scott

8. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    oh! I forgot to tell you that I have D'Addario Chromes installed!