Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Fender Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was in this store called Miller's Music, which is an Austin brand guitar dealer, and this couple was getting ready to buy a Fender pack for their son, when the saleman told them that the Austin would be a better buy. He told them that Fender uses plywood for their P bass bodies, but Austin uses solid ash. The couple bought the Austin and had to pay extra for the accessories. He said that he'd "saved" a bunch of parents from making the same mistake that they were getting ready to make. I pulled the dad to the side and told him that I didn't think that the guy was being level with him. My question: Was I wrong?

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The sales person was definitely uninformed. The MIM's use alder for the body wood and NOT plywood. Most likely he makes more profit with the Austin than he does with the Fender. I would have done the same thing.

Dan

3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I agree. That's a shady salesman. All he "saved" them from was a higher resale value that the Fender would get. I've never even heard of Austin.

4. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I thought MIM's used poplar for solid-coloured bases and alder for sunburst.

5. No you were not wrong. I would have done that plus more...That salesman is retarded.....I don't know anything about Austin basses, but I do know that the Fender MIM are not really plywood, but they are made of many peices of alder, ash or poplar glued up to make the body.

Fetch!

6. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The Fender site just says alder. Poplar was used in some older Squires, the Affinity line I believe. Now they are made with Agathis which is being used more commonly.

Dan

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I was wondering if I was wrong for saying that they weren't made of plywood, because I didn't know for sure.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    MIM Fenders have never been made of plywood.

MIM Fenders used to be made of Poplar, I believe some of the guitars still may be. But current model year MIM basses are all Alder from Mexico.

9. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Not at all.

Did anything happen after you spoke to the kid's Dad? Or did they just leave the shop with their purchase?

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    As I was leaving, he was walking back into the store. They hadn't completed the transaction yet.

12. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Hopefully they took your advice, then. As far as the salesman goes, I hope he was just misinformed...not just out to make $$$.

13. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB

14. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    If you said exactly what you posted then I see nothing wrong with it.

If you actually told the dad it definately wasn't made of plywood, but you yourself wasn't 100% sure, then maybe you should have let it go.

I would have just started making small talk with the sales guy in front of the parents if I wasn't sure.

"These basses are made of plywood? I though they were solid wood?"

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    My exact words were: "
    I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that he was totally on the level with you about Fender's being made of plywood."

16. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Nothing wrong with that at all.:)

17. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Do they use MIM's in the Starter Packs? I thought that they were Squire's...

-robert

18. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The starter packs contain a Squire Affinity P-bass.

Dan

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Nonetheless, Squiers are made of alder or agathis, so he was still correct in saying that they are not plywood.

20. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I was referring to robert's post where he said:

I was also the one that pointed out MIM's are made of alder and I pointed out earlier that Squires are made of agathis. Please read the thread before you criticise. :mad:

Dan