mim fenders - better than they used to be?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnA, Feb 10, 2001.

1. JohnA

Mar 21, 2000
    So yesterday I went out on my lunch hour and played some new basses.

My fave of the day was a Sukop 5 st. The neck was probably the best I'd ever felt. The Sukop 4 had dead strings on it, but still felt just as nice. Both basses were over $2,000USD.

Then as almost a joke we played a few MIM Fenders. I have played tons of them before, but we usually have the 'neck fit like 8th grade woodshop / bridge installed crooked' problems. Much to my surprise this time, both the 4 and the 5 were VERY, VERY nice. I couldn't find anything quality wise to complain about, and it sounded really good... makes me think about picking one up (they're so cheap!) just to have a 4st in the house....
  2. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    I bought a MIM P last March. The woodwork and finish on the MIMs is very good. The neck feels good and the fretwork is surprisingly good, too. But they obviously have to cut some corners to keep the price so low. Right away, I took those Strat knobs off and put on some knurled barrel knobs like it should have. The hardware (tuners, bridge, etc) is usable, but much lower quality than the MIA equivalent. The electronics are lame. I replaced the pickup with a Bartolini 8S and now it sounds great. So, just my opinion, but the MIM Fenders are a really fine platform for modifications. A good solid instrument that comes to life with a few minor tweaks.
  3. JohnA

Mar 21, 2000
    Went out today in search of a MIM jazz since I've been itching for a 4 string.

Played a bunch today -- both P's and J's and even an old P-lyte as well as an ibanez ATK and a whole host of other things.

Ended up getting a brand new (2 days old) Fender Geddy Lee (MIJ) with bag and strap for $597.00. I think I got a good deal, and I dig the bass a LOT!!!
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I have a MIM P and a MIM J.The P was pretty decent out of the box,I played a gig with it the day I bought it(although I changed the strings first,I didnt like the barbed wire it came with).The J,on the other hand hummed badly right out of the box.After reading other posts on this I found out this is common on the MIM J's because they use the same pickup for the neck and bridge position,and since there wound the same way,they dont cancel each other out.I found some used Fender-Lace Sensor pickups at a good price and the hum problem is gone. I was a bit disappointed to have to replace parts on a new bass to make it playable,but all in all for the price the MIM's arent a bad buy.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

JohnA, congratulations on the Geddy Lee model!

I have one of these and absolutely love it.

The MIMs are good for the price, and much better with upgrades.

No upgrades needed on the Geddy, though. Comes equipped with those '62 reissue pickups and a BadAss II bridge, sounds and plays awesome!
  6. JohnA

Mar 21, 2000
    Just to keep in the spirit of things I've been busting out rush tunes on it all night. (Not that I'm playing the correctly or anything.)

Did a quick setup on it, and it's even better now.

It's wild to go from my only other bass (35", 24 fret, 5 string, active) to this thing (34", 20 fret, 4 string, passive...) Can't say that I like one over the other yet, but I know that I'm only playing the new one tonight...