1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM Fenders vs. SX basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masher88, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    What do you feel is a better quality instrument after setup, of course? Not "bang for the buck", but QUALITY. This means construction, materials, electronics, hardware, fit and finish.
    MIM Fenders or SX Basses?

Explain....

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    This was just done a few weeks ago (try search).:)

SX are good for the dough, but not AS good as a MIM Fender.

3. +1

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Shoot...sorry Guys! Feel free to delete this thread!

Cheers

5. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Banned

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Going by the ones I've bought they are quite similar with each having their better parts. I thought both had a good finish and good woods, the MIM has better hardware but the SX was built better. Fret work on both was weak. The worst parts of the SX are specific to the 5 string, under 16mm string spacing and badly placed pickups off to one side. You can see this in the pics on the website.

I thought the SX sounded better stock and if I was looking for a 4 string it would be hard to justify tripling the price just for the Fender logo.

Rondo has good customer service where as Fender doesn't seem to have any. I think both will be hit or miss and you should be willing to return one if you buy online.

I kept the Fender, fixed some of the slop, shaved the neck and changed the pickups and now it's a great bass for me. If the SX neck was wider I may have kept that. I think which one is better comes down to the individual bass and what things you're willing to fix/upgrade. For example if I kept the SX I would change the bridge and tuners but I was happy enough with the MIM hardware. The Fender has a horribly cut pickguard and the SX's was perfect but I'm simply ignoring that.

I know you didn't want to go into price but if you buy new you can get 3 SX's for the price of the Fender and have lunch money left over. Then you can pick your favorite parts from the bunch and have some backups, or a fretless or whatever.

6. srh

srh saahweet

Dec 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    I havent been on talkbass that long, but ive probably seen at least like 25 of these threads asking the same question.

Never played an SX before, but from what I hear they are pretty sweet,but if you have the money go for the MIM.

7. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Search! :scowl:

8. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Banned

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Wow, I'm the only person not redundant enough to complain about being redundant.

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yeah.

10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I've had one MIM Fender and one SX. The Fender was the clear winner.