1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM Fretless Jazz.. Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jobiebass, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Hey,

Ive got a MIM fretless Jazz and ive tried a few diffrent strings on it and im not really happy.

When I first got it, it had some really smoothe strings with no coloured ends, just pure metal. Ive been looking for which they are but im struggling, I really like them.

Ive tried Rotosound's roundwound, and then I tried their Jazz verson, which I thought would be perfect. but they dont have anything on those original strings I bought the bass 2nd hand with.

Anyone got any clue which they could be or what would sound good on this bass????

Oh, the guy in the shop when i bought it said they were £40 strings when I bought it. roto's were £30ish (GBP)

:help::help::help::help::help:

2. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    US$80 strings? Poor guy. That definitely qualifies as government oppression; your ticket to permanent residency in the States! :D :bag:

Anyway, I don't know much about flatwounds, but if they're all-metal ball ends they can't be D'Addarios. They could possibly be DRs; they'd cost enough.

Background please; think back to those original strings. Did they always have a slightly dull-grey look to them, or did they have a brighter chrome look? If they were dull grey you're looking for an all-stainless string, while if it's brighter you're probably looking for nickelplate. I would imagine they were nickelplate, but anything's possible in the world of strings.

3. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I have a set of SS Slinkys on m fretless right now. I've been enjoying them. When I get new strings for my freted I think I'll try he DR Hi-Beams on the fretless.

4. DR Sunbeams.

5. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    mint green at the ball end, no colour at the neck end.. very smooth, more so then roto jazz strings.

:help:

6. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    btw i dont know which is which between flat or round wound, i could be getting mixed up. is round wound the smooth ones and flats the one that rips the hell out of my fingers going slides?

im after the smoothe ones either way

7. Round wounds tend to tear up your fingertips a bit until you build up calluses. Flat wounds are the smooth ones. When I got my MIM Jazz Fretless it shipped with Fender flatwounds on it. Then again, I had ordered online.

8. Fender 9050 flats ("smoothe") have no silk on the tuner end and kind of a teal blue/green silk on the bridge end.

9. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    im pretty sure they wont be fenders if they are originals, cant see them being expensive if its originals.

when I bought it, it was custom, well they sprayed the scratch plate (which I got my mechanic of a dad to spray today in a nice metalic silver with metal flakes, looks nice against the black bass)
    I digress

10. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Mine came with Fender flats too but I now use Rotosound flats and love them. Had the same set on for over 2 years and still sounding great.

11. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    super smooth and pure metal ends to me sounds like elixirs (if they were rounds).

12. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Had strings 2 years???
    I change mine every few months, maybe im a little bit querky.

Nahh they are Flats.
    Humm.. the search continues.

13. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    none of this matters anymore, I got my stingray and its got elixrs 45-100 on it. OMG these are the best strings ive ever played. Roundwound and they are like silk to play, OMG.

so yeah, Looks like ill just get some more of these for my Jazz