1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM Geddy Lee Jazz vs American Standard Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arca_tern, Sep 16, 2017.

1. arca_tern

arca_tern

Sep 16, 2017
    Hey folks!
    Looking into getting a new bass, would be replacing my older Ibanez sr500.
    The Ibanez is nice, but don't like the neck, fret spacing, and wanting to get away from active pickups.

I've played the new American Professional at the MIM Geddy Lee at my local shop, and they sounded very similar and played very similar, but with a price difference of like $700 (Cdn)
    No reason in my mind to pay up (other than color or string-thru) for the Pro.

Another shop a couple hours away has an American Standard left in stock, only a bit more $ than the Geddy Lee.

Thoughts on how the American Standard compares to the Geddy Lee?
    Would be for live gigs, jamming, some amateur recording.

2. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    The necks on the two should be different, with the Geddy being thinner. I never owned a Geddy Lee, but after playing a few at music stores, I remember thinking the necks were very Ibanez-like as far as thinness of profile and nut width.

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... with all due respect, it is tough to compare two basses with almost completely different components (and even a few key specs) when those differences would be subjective to the users preference ... ;)

.. everything about the necks (other than fretboard radius and fret wire size) will be very different, including the profile, hardware, and even the aesthetics ...

... the only thing in common on the bodies are the wood and the pots/knobs ... pups, pup spacing, bridge, STB (vs top load only) are all different ...

It really comes down to ones preference in specs and components, and of course sound/playability if able to have in hand ... also, keep in mind there is an extensive market for used American Standard (and mostly comparable American Series) basses ... that will greatly tighten up the price differences .. also you have plenty of used MIJ Geddy's floating around out there to pick from (again with different components than both mentioned above) ....

BTW, welcome to TB ... ;)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  4. arca_tern

arca_tern

Sep 16, 2017
    Ended up buying a brand used Geddy Lee for almost half off, came with a milder hardcase too!
    Will have to do a full NBD post