1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM j-bass pup issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gahpg, Aug 26, 2007.

1. gahpg

gahpg

Jun 30, 2007
    Brookfield IL
    EDIT: I am sorry, I am tired and I didn't realize I posted this in amps instead of the pickups & electronics forum. Mods, if you could move it that would be great. Sorry!

Hey,

I bought a set of dimarzio model j's for my 1992 fender j-bass. I had problems with the bridge fitting in (both pickup cavities are the same size; the size of the neck) so I sent it out to dimarzio and they gave me a neck pickup. I called the guy from dimarzio about putting two neck pickups in my bass, would it work? He told me that it should be good, but it's not. The bridge pickup sounds weak, and the sound needs to beef up: I don't like it. I like how the neck sounds, however.

My friend read a book on pickups and told me that if both pickups are identical the bridge would sound weak (which it does, but dimarzio told me otherwise, ugh)

So, my question is: what should I do? Are there good bridge pickups I can swap out my current "bridge" pickup for that will fit my j-bass? Should I perhaps bring the body to my school and try to make the cavity larger so I can fit a regular bridge in?

Help is appreciated; thank you!

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    the best option if you like the sound of the model Js is to just have the bridge pickup rout made a little bigger to fit. plenty of other J bass pickups you can try then too